The Planted Tank Forum banner

air stones (o2) in conjunction with co2

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  wizza 
#1 ·
Hi,

Is it THAT terrible to have an air stone going whilst injecting co2?

Reason why I ask is because my aquarium has a glass lid with a wooden canopy on top.

Which causes trouble getting o2 in there.(poor gas exchange)

I can't remove the lid because the wooden canopy get wet via evaporation.

So I guess the question is if I can still get sufficient Co2 in there is this method ok?

I'm on the second day of this and in 18 months of converting my tank to a planted one its the first time I'm getting pearling.

Wouldn't this emulate why some people believe that their best growth comes from water change day?

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
So, you're drinking and taking antibiotics at the same time :)

CO2 is a highly unstable gas dissolved in water. Surface agitation created by the bubbling will make the CO2 gas off.

If you want to keep things in check, dose less CO2. In my opinion, a canopy is more of a design thing than a functional component useful to an aquarium.

#9 ·
Wouldn't this emulate why some people believe that their best growth comes from water change day?
The water that you get from tap has a lot of dissolved CO2 in it so not necessarily. But hey if you are seeing nice growth and little algae, keep doing it. We don't know how much light you actually have so you might have 70 PAR or 5. That will determine how much CO2 you need for the most part.

#11 · (Edited)
What it is I've recently added more light.
I went from 2 54w t5 to 3.

Bear in mind though the tubes are 3ft and the tank is 5 ft 100 gallons(so they are staggered)

The 3rd tube I brought to the front for light spread.

I'm supplying Co2 through an fx5 where up until now I have had one of the out let's pointing to the surface.

But due to the extra light now I've had to point both outlets down now (for the Co2 to get in the water due to the Co2 being in more demand than ever.

So I figured I would get some o2 (maybe more also) via a stone.

#12 ·
Lol, you said the same thing as me but in reverse :)

Ok, ok, there's this misconception that somehow the Oxygen bubbles increase O2 levels. They increase the O2 levels by the surface agitation they create. Not because you are fizzing gas in the water. O2, as far as I know, is less soluble in water than CO2.

You may run the airstone at night, if you want to, but that will not save your fish during the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.