The Planted Tank Forum banner

Evolve 4

4K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  hisxlency 
#1 ·

Got this for 34 dollars at the petco dinar per gallon sale :)
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, nice grab. Same price I grabbed mine at. Even took a pick of the price LOL, incase one store was out.

First they were on sale for $60. Then clearance down to $50. Now clearance down to $35. It is priced less than the Evolve 2 LOL.

I suspect either this is Spring Cleaning or there is a new Evolve on the way.

#6 ·
The pump in the 4 is the same in the 8. Some people actually feel it is too weak for the 8, most find it just perfect, as it moves 100 GPH at max. 60 GPH at the lowest setting.

I cannot see how anyone would use the pump on a 4 at anything besides the lowest setting. See my build thread for an easy way to reduce the flow even further if needed. Others have posted some of their own tips and tricks for reducing flow. I just happen to like mine the best. Only cost about $5 and is much more adjustable.

#9 ·
On the pump, there is an adjustment. You have to take it out to adjust it. Pretty simple slider. I do not know if it literally slows down the pump like a potentiometer or closes a valve.

My addon is just an adjustable valve. I do not want to adjust it any more than 1/3 closed because I don't want to stress the pump.

But see how you feel it is with just the adjustment on the pump down.

#12 ·
i have a fair amount of that size tubing around, so i clipped the edge of the hose in several spots. the chamber sees good recirculation and all of the debris falls down to the bottom (i have the pump suction cupped to the wall instead of the floor, to help it from sucking up mulm, etc) and every other water change i just pull the pump and suck the garbage out. I used to have my bio bags over the pump, but i removed the mechanical filter in the first chamber and stuffed that full of them instead, with a purigen pad between the two chambers. seems to work better for cleaning it out and adjusting the pump and heater as needed.

#13 ·
The stock filter works fine, I did add a Fluval sponge at the intake to help with the flow and it also does some filtration. I am not even sure how often to change the stock filter, but I am only doing 20% water changes once a week now, and my water has become crystal clear (not sure if the sponge helped speed that up) and my water params do not change at all (although I am using cheap test strips and cannot test for ammonia yet.

I would love to see a write up on some alternative filtration setups. It is a weak subject for me, so I am not confident in coming up with something on my own.

#18 ·
Yeah I'm sure it's the light coming through the window distorting.

I do have to say though that unless every light in your house is off, the night time setting looks awful.

@Defstatic, thanks for the tips! I do have sponge stuffed in the intake but maybe I'll try some sponge in the pump area. I've debated putting panty hose over the pump but I feel like it's going to throw the look of the tank off.

#24 ·
I honestly am close to buying a second one and having two at work. They said I could have up to a 10gal tank, so why not two 4's LOL.

Was thinking of doing another setup, but this time with some Java Fern and Moss. And a Red Betta. Kind of a Ying Yang thing LOL.

#23 ·
When I looked at the pic again, I noticed the window shinning right in the middle, prob affecting the shutter speed and ambient light detector.

I do not have any specs on the stock light, but I believe it would be considered quite low light. Suitable for low light plants. I will say I think it is a hair better than most people give it credit for though.

If you are interested, you can get an upgraded light. Anything from a $70 Ecoxotic light, to the Finnex Fugeray-R (which I highly recommend and you can see in action in my journal).

#28 ·
I also just picked up an Evolve 4 at Petco just this afternoon. I hadn't planned on getting another tank for probably a couple of months at least but considering the $34.99 price tag and the fact that it was the only one left, just couldn't pass it up lol. Super excited to plan out which plants will go in it and the aquascaping. Right after Petco I made a quick stop at Petsmart, where I saw that their Evolves were also on sale, the Evolve 4 for $59.99, so still significantly higher than Petco.

I think I've already scratched the idea of housing one of my bettas in it--judging by several of the posts in this thread it sounds like the filter flow is pretty strong, and while baffling/modifying strong outflow can be done pretty easily, I'm not sure even that would be sufficient if the pump is that strong, plus the water level has to be quite high due to the placement of the intake slots so I'd have to make my own lid to prevent any suicidal jumps, which I really would rather not do. I could definitely end up changing my mind though once I get a better feel for the tank lol.

Really like the idea of making it into a planted shrimp tank right now, but theres no rush to decide. This style of tank also lends itself quite well to conversion into a nano-reef tank (with certain modifications of course), which I'd really love to try since I just started dabbling in SW and am really enjoying it so far. Tempted to check out the other Petcos in my area to see if they still have any left and get a 2nd one lol.

#29 ·
The existing lid is more than sufficient at stopping jumpers (except the hole in the right front, which can be easily covered).

And reducing the flow is quite effective. Probably one of the best 5gal and under Betta tanks. Although I am still looking at possibly reducing the flow even more, as it still seems quite strong for a Betta. The power head is just too much for such a small tank.

IDK, the next water change I am going to give it another turn, maybe close to half closed.

#32 · (Edited)
I got one of these today for a Betta that is being rehomed to me. I turned the pump all the way down, and added a chunk of Fluval sponge over the outflow head. Perfect. Water movement, but certainly not enough to bother the fish.

If you use black sponge, you will barely see it. Especially once you get some plants growing up to hide it.

Suspicious of the light though. I will start with it, but I am researching options. Mine is lie tech, so hopefully it will be sufficient.

#35 ·
I got one of these today for a Berta that is being rehomed to me. I turned the pump all the way down, and added a chunk of Fluval sponge over the outflow head. Perfect. Water movement, but certainly not enough to bother the fish.

If you use black sponge, you will barely see it. Especially once you get some plants growing up to hide it.

Suspicious of the light though. I will start with it, but I am researching options. Mine is lie tech, so hopefully it will be sufficient.
The light is easily sufficient for low light plants. Anything medium or higher will require an upgrade.

I would love to see a pic on your powerhead. I am thinking my next move will not be to reduce the flow anymore, but to diffuse the powerhead a little more with a sponge.

#34 ·
The light really is not that bad. Is it a Finnex or Ecoxotic? No. But it is far better than some I have seen that come with tanks.

See my build in my sig for what it looks like with the Finnex Fugeray-R.

#38 ·
I've been hearing great things about the finnex Fugeray r. It's low - med light range from what I understand and algae should not be an issue.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.