The Planted Tank Forum banner

n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal - New Update 4-7-2013

43K views 348 replies 48 participants last post by  jerrytheplater 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

This is my first journal. Just rescaped today so I figured, I will start a journal to document the growth and development of the tank. I love low maintenance tanks because I do not have time to manicure and rescape every week.

Filter: 75 Gal Sump

Light: 2x 80 Watts T5, Finnex Rays 2 LED for 8 hours

Water Change: It is hooked up to my automatic water change system so it gets 8% water change per day.

Fert: Modified IE through my auto dosing system.

CO2 : Pressurized CO2 system, it goes on 1 hrs before the light is on and off 30 minutes before the light goes off.

Substrate: ECO Complete mixed ADA Aquasoil Amazonian

Fish: Few Ginga Rubra guppies, few cardina tetra, a few otos (started with 30 of them), a couple of cories.

Plants Updated 1-18-2013:
  • C. Uenoi
  • C. Keei 'Jambusan'
  • C. Keei 'Bau'
  • C. Nurii 'Rompin'
  • C. Bullosa 'Pakan'
  • C. Bullosa 'Sarakei'
  • C. Bullosa 'Bario'
  • C. Nurii Pahang Mutated
  • C. Kota Tingii
  • C. Auriculata Betong
  • C. Auriculata 'Tiger Stripe' Pakan
  • C. Cordata KR01
  • C. Hudoroi
  • C. zukalii
  • C. sp Bukit Ibam "Yellow Ring"
  • C. Cordata 'Rosanervig' with veins
  • C. Minima 'Gasser'
  • C. sp rompin
  • C. aponogetifolia
  • C. Affinis 'Red'
  • C. Purpurea
  • C. Ideii
  • Alternanthera sp. 'variegated'
  • Jumbo Trident Java Fern,
  • Taiwan Moss
  • Fissiden
  • Microsorum pteropus sp. 'red'

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
I couldn't take pictures of the fish in the tank. They were moving too fast for my camera phone.

The tank is still cloudy, I am hoping it would clear within the next week. If not, I might have to do a 30%-40% water change.

I also got a couple of specimens from Nick of bocopa japan and erio type 2... going to see if they will survive.

C. Nurii Pahang Mutated

C. Uenoi - I have one baby on the right.

C. Keei - Two babies on the left and right.

Super Red Rubin Lidwigia - It has doubled since I got them 4 weeks ago.

L. Pantanal - Just got them this week from Joraan

C. Nurii 'Rompin' - I love this plant...

Downoi - I was able to split the plant... so I got 3 crowns!

C. Hudoroi - I got this two weeks ago... extremely slow grower!

Hyptis Lorentziana - Just got this week from Joraan

C. Cordata KR01 - They are growing at a good pace but they need to make babies!

#11 ·
Great Job on the c uenoi dude. It wasn't too long ago since you got the plant. I'm glad they're happy and well taken care of. A lot of people shy away from new crypts thinking that they're hard to grow because of the lack of info. In my opinion, they are just as easy as most of the ones that are already saturated in the hobby.

I read in Jan's crypt pages that c ferruginea cannot be grown in the long run. I got a few specimen grown submerged and I witnessed colors and patterns that I will never see in a emerged specimen. I have Frank testing a specimen for me submerged as well in a typical mts setting. So far so good.

#12 ·
Great Job on the c uenoi dude. It wasn't too long ago since you got the plant. I'm glad they're happy and well taken care of. A lot of people shy away from new crypts thinking that they're hard to grow because of the lack of info. In my opinion, they are just as easy as most of the ones that are already saturated in the hobby.
Thanks... I agree with you. Caring for rare crypts are the same as the less rare crypts. I enjoyed the rare crypts more because the colors and characteristics are different and awesome. I also think people can't justify spending big $$$ for a plant.

I read in Jan's crypt pages that c ferruginea cannot be grown in the long run. I got a few specimen grown submerged and I witnessed colors and patterns that I will never see in a emerged specimen. I have Frank testing a specimen for me submerged as well in a typical mts setting. So far so good.
That is interesting... I would love to hear and see the result. If you need help on experimenting of growing any crypts submerged. I will gladly help you out.

#16 ·
Tank looks good bro. You got yourself a nice collection going on there. :)

Hudoroi actually grows pretty fast compared to some other crypts. Is your water hard or soft? Eco isn't really a nutrient rich substrate so water column dosing alone won't give you the best results for crypts. You need to feed em some root nutrients. I've been using some special clay/fert mix I got from Chad and that stuff has been working wonders on my crypts! All you do is freeze em in little cubes and stuff them under the substrate around the plants. Contact him and tell him Nick sent ya :p

btw I don't see a pic of Kota tingii... where's it at? That plant is a bit more fagile than other crypts I've kept so good luck with it.

#18 · (Edited)
Tank looks good bro. You got yourself a nice collection going on there. :)

Hudoroi actually grows pretty fast compared to some other crypts. Is your water hard or soft? Eco isn't really a nutrient rich substrate so water column dosing alone won't give you the best results for crypts. You need to feed em some root nutrients. I've been using some special clay/fert mix I got from Chad and that stuff has been working wonders on my crypts! All you do is freeze em in little cubes and stuff them under the substrate around the plants. Contact him and tell him Nick sent ya :p

btw I don't see a pic of Kota tingii... where's it at? That plant is a bit more fagile than other crypts I've kept so good luck with it.
Thanks... :)

Ah... I know why it has been growing slow... it is still adjusting from begin grow in a rich substrate to a not so rich substrate. This morning I have seen a new leaf sprouting.

My water is hard with ph of 7.5 to 7.7... Even though my eco complete is not all that. I still have had pretty good success growing crypts and other plants.

I've read pretty good reviews about people using rootcaps. So I've decided to order some rootcaps from Rootmedic. It should be here sometimes next week or so. We will see how the crypts will respond.

#29 · (Edited)
Easy Life - Fluid medium filter ... New med that I am trying to get rid of the cloudy water. After the 1st treatment, the water seem a little clearer. I've gave the tank a 2nd treatment, hopefully the water will be crystal clear after this treatment.

Hudoroi - It has sprouted first new leaf.

Cordata Rosanervig - Just planted... they were grown immersed. I will see how it will transition to be going submersed.

C Minima - New crypt that Xue wants me to try to grow in my submersed setup. Again, they were grown emmersed. I definitely want to see how this plant transition to submerse condition. I will be closely monitor and document this.

C Bullosa - I got this crypt on 10/19... I still yet to see any new leaf. I know everyone have said this is a slow grower but man it is slow!!!

#34 ·
That c bullosa will not send any new leaves until it has become root bound. Once it's established, you'll get a leaf a month if it's really happy.

Good luck on the minima. I haven't tried submerging yet. I'm kinda low on space. Lol
Sounds like you need to setup another tank!

I know C Bullosa is a slow grower but I didn't think it was this slow.

#33 ·
I tried minima until it almost disappeared and moved it back to emergent before I lost it. I only gave it one try and it didnt like my setup at all. I have medium hard water and treated it as a limestone crypt substrate-wise. Maybe try a peat pellet next to one and see if it attaches roots to that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.