Idea on making "aquasoil" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Idea on making "aquasoil"

Has anyone ever thought about how aquasoil is made? I've been reading lots and lots of posts on the web about other peoples ideas and what they think goes into making aquasoil. My idea was mixing bentonite clay as the "bonding agent" so it won't break down, humic acid, and mineralized topsoil (minus the clay), and then baking it in a kiln or oven. To get the round shape I'm sure there's a tumbler or a granulator or something. But I wanted to know what anyone else thinks about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

This method might result in a usable nutrient filled substrate, but it won't make Aquasoil. I don't think this should be a concern to you. Just work out what gives you a good enough substrate at a cost and amount of effort you can handle. This method might end up being far more labor and time consuming than you want.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Wish it were possible to make it for I can't afford it. Thus after I break down a tank I will using a version of CO2 Generating Substrate.

Layred out so
1st Layer:
Blood Meal (Nitrogen)

2nd Layer
KNO3 (Potassium nitrate), Sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda), Scotts Hyponex Potting soil

3rd Layer
River Sand
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
This method might result in a usable nutrient filled substrate, but it won't make Aquasoil. I don't think this should be a concern to you. Just work out what gives you a good enough substrate at a cost and amount of effort you can handle. This method might end up being far more labor and time consuming than you want.
Yeah, you're probably right, Hoppy. It'd be interesting to try, but its definitely way too expensive and labor inducive for anyone to consider doing unless they already have all the equipment and funds to try it. But it is a very interesting topic IMO. Some day someone will find a way to make a similar product.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Wish it were possible to make it for I can't afford it. Thus after I break down a tank I will using a version of CO2 Generating Substrate.

Layred out so
1st Layer:
Blood Meal (Nitrogen)

2nd Layer
KNO3 (Potassium nitrate), Sodium bicarbonate (Baking soda), Scotts Hyponex Potting soil

3rd Layer
River Sand
Wouldn't the baking soda and sodium nitrate dissolve as soon as you filled the tank with water?

RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think blood meal will generate ammonia, which is ok only if the level is low, and the water pH is controlled so it remains in the correct range. That potting soil may also contain ammonia generating materials. I don't think I would try this without doing enough research to be sure I wasn't creating a monster.

Hoppy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
Wouldn't the baking soda and sodium nitrate dissolve as soon as you filled the tank with water?
No, for there is a 1.5 in of sand over the substrate.

Bump:
Quote:
I think blood meal will generate ammonia, which is ok only if the level is low, and the water pH is controlled so it remains in the correct range. That potting soil may also contain ammonia generating materials. I don't think I would try this without doing enough research to be sure I wasn't creating a monster.
I have not had any problems with the potting soil I have used for a few years. The blood meal I read about here.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
The recipe in the link says for the bonemeal to use "1 desert spoonful per 30 cm square." That's not enough for me to worry about amonia.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
No, for there is a 1.5 in of sand over the substrate.

Bump:
I have not had any problems with the potting soil I have used for a few years. The blood meal I read about here.
You have done the research and are careful about how you apply it, but a random person, who just assumes he can throw this stuff together can look forward to problems.

Hoppy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode