The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone with Red flourite have pics?

8K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Ibn 
#1 ·
I'm about to setup a 55 gallon planted tank, that i just converted from SW, id like to do something diffrent for the substrate, i do currently have 100# of play sand i could use. I have flourite and regualr gravel in all my other tanks. Im wondering what color diffrence flourite red has in a tank. anyone with flourite red in a tank please post a pic for me!

#2 ·
hey I have a 55 I just started, (see photos forum place) well I have 2 bags of reg. flourite, and 1 bag red flourite, it makes it look soo much cooler then just pure reg. flourite. The red is really clayey and red. So be preparted. It will look like clumped mud on the bottom if you have pure red flourite. I'd try 2 bags red flourite and one bag reg. flourite see how that works out. HTH

#3 ·
Do you have a pic of your tank with the red flourite?

#5 ·
hmm, looks diffrent. i think ill order two boxes of red, and two boxes of regular for my new 55. If i dont like the red that much ill just mix them and keep an extra 3 bags on hand for any new tanks.

#12 ·
Then I stand corrected... must be regular flourite in my tank, although it sure looks mostly red. I have seen flourite at the pet store which was definitely not red, but had a green/black color instead. Very different from what I have.

Anyone with a "red flourite" picture?

So red flourite looks like profile, just more red instead of orangy tan? Interesting...

#13 ·
WP, that fluorite in the 10-gallon of yours is not red fluorite as Rex has pointed out, but rather regular fluorite. The same goes for dwarfpuffer.

Red fluorite is really red (redder than those in WP's pic) and the bags of it that I've seen were all bigger in grain than regular fluorite (all the bags of red fluorite that I've seen were bigger grain; more popular for some reason).

#14 ·
My flourite was 90% red and had some small white only mixed in but the major ingredient was red. The red flourite was a much brighter red but still all the same size.... very small pieces. The chunks I saw in the other photo were stone sized...not chips.
I have seen many different things mixed in with flourite but the "Red" was always just that, Red.

But never more then chip sized pieces in either... :tongue: Maybe as years go on it is changing due to availability and demand ! :confused: I havent bought flourite in some time.

#15 ·
Heh, i ordered some other things so the red flourite will have to wait, my 55g tank purchase fell thru. although, i am going to get a eclipse for my gf to mess with - she wants "pretty" substrate. im going to see if any LFS stock red flourite.
Anways, i will post an update when i get a good pic of red flourite.

#16 ·
My observation of red flourite has been in line with Buck's comments. It's too red for me- approaching clown puke status, but that's just personal preference.

I like Onyx sand better than Flourite, especially now that the particle size is more uniformly small. With my NY State water, the slight buffering it affords is most welcome.

#17 ·
Okay, sorry for the late reply, but I assure you what I have in my tank is RED flourite. Here is a better pic... I am sure there are some differances from bag to bag, but what I bought was Red, and I still have the bag laying around to prove it. But for me, the clown puke red kinda works cause it is a biotope from a south asain river with a red bottom!

#22 ·
i've seen "red" flourite in stores recently (on vacation and got to check out several great stores between memphis, atlanta, myrtle beach, nashville and back home again) and it is indeed dark red (think mars rocks instead of clown puke) the stuff on the shelves at www.fishstoretn.com "the lighthouse" looked like across between red lava rock chunks and pure laterite in texture and color.

perhaps once it is rinsed the "red" fades away and you're left with regular flourite. all of these pics do look exactly like plain flourite to me as well. i won't argue that the package didn't say "red" when they were purchased, but maybe they mixed up a few batches and labeled "classic" flourite "red" by mistake... in any case, flourite is flourite, red or potpourri... expensive, beautiful, and never carried by stores in arkansas. :)

Oqsy

#23 ·
Dwarfpufferfish's red flourite looks identical to my red flourite. Maybe we rinsed the bulk of the red out of it ..... I rinsed until it was practically clear ... talk about a pain on the butt :mad:

In fact, there is a patch of ground in my garden that still has a fine layer of red stuff from my rinsing a few months back.

I went w/ eco-complete for my 120g.

#26 ·
Bonsai said:
Dwarfpufferfish's red flourite looks identical to my red flourite. Maybe we rinsed the bulk of the red out of it ..... I rinsed until it was practically clear ... talk about a pain on the butt :mad:

In fact, there is a patch of ground in my garden that still has a fine layer of red stuff from my rinsing a few months back.

I went w/ eco-complete for my 120g.
That's just dust that's accrued/created from the fluorite rubbing against each other. I've rinsed fluorite before and the water goes clear after awhile, but the color is always there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.