Black Diamond Blasting Sand Oil Slick - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Black Diamond Blasting Sand Oil Slick

I have washed this blasting sand numerous times. I let it sit for several days in a bucket and it all looked good to go. I stirred it up a bit and I got an oil slick. This time is my second batch. I actually washed with some dish soap.

My first batch has been put in the tank already. The oil slick doesn't affect fish or plants, but just looks bad.

With or without detergent, the slick is still there...Any pointers? I mean it's just coal slag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

I have used blasting sand in three tanks now. I have never had that problem. My method of rinsing the sand was putting up to a quarter of the bag at a time into a rubbermaid container and running the garden hose on a tilted container for about five minutes then stirring the contents and repeating until I was satisfied that it was clean (~30 minutes). Rinse again with RO or DI water to get out the chlorine and it should be fine.

It makes a great substrate and cheap too! Good luck.

I have an AQUARIUM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

I had a ton of oil in mine, took forever to wash it out. I had it in a rubbermaid container with a hose for atleast an hour, constantly stirring the sand to get it all out. Even then I couldn't get it all...

It was bad at first in the tank but after a few water changes it was all gone.

And I love the blasting sand, such a pleasure to plant stuff in it.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:02 AM
Algae Grower

I washed 2 bags of 20-40 grit doing 1/2 bag at a time in a 5 gallon bucket this past weekend. I would add "a splash" of dawn dish soap to the bottom of he bucket then just spray the hose into it until it soaped up and was almost full. Then, pouring off the water only to repeat probably 4 times per wash, or until it did not make suds. I've never had an oil slick this way.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druggist View Post
I washed 2 bags of 20-40 grit doing 1/2 bag at a time in a 5 gallon bucket this past weekend. I would add "a splash" of dawn dish soap to the bottom of he bucket then just spray the hose into it until it soaped up and was almost full. Then, pouring off the water only to repeat probably 4 times per wash, or until it did not make suds. I've never had an oil slick this way.
Yea, I put dish soap. Poured off over 20 times. The water was clear after I let it sit in the bucket. But after I stirred it up, I saw slight oil slick again
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 05:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

All coal have oil content - that's where the term "coal oil" came from - some a little more than the other. Anthracite coal (also called black diamond) is the hardest coal with the lowest oil content - but it is not free from oil and its volatile content can be between 5-10% (not all oil).

So a little oil slick can be expected when you have it as substrate - but it will disappear and become negligible with time.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

letting it sit in a bucket won't get the oil out. you have to rinse, drain, rinse, drain, rinse, drain etc... it's worth it in the long run for the $$$ savings and makes a great substrate

you should never have used soap to wash your substrate... bad call. that is infinitely more harmful than any oil that could have been in there.
burr740 and LinaS like this.

75 Gallon High Tech
29 Gallon Low Tech (RCS / cory tank)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have seen the oil slick, and simply increased the surface agitation for a few day's and it was no more.
Other bag's I have used without rinsing were fine.
Rinsed,or un rinsed, would not hurt to run fresh activated carbon for a week and give filter pad's a cleaning after a week.(in tank water or dechlorinated water)
Problem solved.
I too would NOT use soap.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand in almost every aquarium. I just dump it in the tank and add my plants, rocks, wood. I finish filling the tank with water. Then I use a wet-dry vac and clean the "floaters" and any oil skim (2 bags only). No problems after that.
Freemananana likes this.

Blessed are the flexible!
For they shall not be bent out of shape!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Velcro nailed my method. Well, I just use a cup and remove everything that is floating. That's all I've ever done.

Quote or Mention me in a comment and I'll be sure to reply!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

today I set up another 55. dirt with a bit of flourite capped with black diamond. This is my 3rd tank with black diamond and the last 2 tanks I rinsed and still got a little slick. This tank I have not rinsed and have about the same amount of "slick". ....looks crappy for a while and then goes away. I found that if I take my planting tongs and swish it around to break up the surface tension the slick drops the minute particulates and it looks less exon-valdez.

North Dakota
125 Co2 planted tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted
55 shrimp tank, crs and rc
29 mated angels
40 long, grow out
40 breeder- just set up, use unknown
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

and less than 48 hours later- no slick

North Dakota
125 Co2 planted tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted
55 shrimp tank, crs and rc
29 mated angels
40 long, grow out
40 breeder- just set up, use unknown
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

Not surprising to me - I've also used cheesecloth to scoop it out --- it's just never been a big issue for me
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:59 AM
Algae Grower

I have been unable to get Black Diamond ... is Black Beauty pretty much the same deal or is there some difference I am missing?

I've come full circle...is that good or bad?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:01 AM
Algae Grower

Yes, just be aware that some places charge $10 for 50 lbs and others charge $50 for 50 lbs.

Blessed are the flexible!
For they shall not be bent out of shape!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode