The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dirt Capped with ADA, good idea?

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Xiaozhuang 
#1 ·
Hi All, first time poster long time reader

Long story short, i was given some ADA aquasoil by a friend and I believe he had it in his high-tech tank for about a year. I have used his ADA soil in my tank for the past 2 months with high-light and pressurised co2 and EI Dosing however i have not noticed very little growth in my plants

My theory is that my ADA has become invert and i was wondering if there is any point dosing EI ferts anymore? Does Aquasoil have a high CEC?

If ADA has become invert, has anybody tried to cap dirt with Aquasoil? How did you go, were there any problems?

I have a feeling that my c02 is not efficient enough and is limiting my plant growth. I have just ordered a reactor and am hoping that my results will change. I guess my question would be, should i wait til my reactor arrives and see if there are any progress in terms of plant growth or should i just change over to a more nutrient rich substrate?

My tank is a 2ft x 1ft tank with a 2x24 T5 HO running with 2x6500k bulbs and also using an LED strip light (not sure about wattage)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys :smile2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post a picture. What plants are you using?

Some plants grow slow during the juvenile stage.

If your not happy with the growth. Try using Flourish Excel + Leaf zone from API. They seam to give some quick results.

In general rule of thumb. Using root tabs aka Fertz is very important in planted aquarium. They help in roots establishment and general growth.

BTW im a totally rookie. Just giving my view :p

#3 ·
The Aquasoil is probably too light to form a good cap, you'll likely have cloudy water for a while. If you want to try it in a smaller scale just to test it will give you a better idea eg a large mason jar.

Hmm just realized your issue is the slow growth.

More details would help. Plants, photoperiod, CO2 rate/dose, actual ferts being used/dose/frequency. I don't do high tech but the high tech people here would want to know these as a jumping point.

Also more info on that LED strip light pls.

#4 ·
Plants at the moment are, amazon swords, crypts, dwarf baby tears, hair grass and stem plants (luwigia i think)

Ferts are just the standard EI dosing, macro's micros, etc

LED is an Ista 60cm Energy Saving unit - doesnt actually say wattage

photo period is about 6.5 hours per day

#5 · (Edited)
I've done this - exactly as detailed in my tank thread. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. The main thing I did to prevent the dirt from coming up is a thin piece of perforated plastic. I had a tank divider kicking around - cut it to fit, put the dirt down, put the divider down, put the ADA on top of the divider. Plants grow roots through tiny 1mm sized holes in the plastic to the dirt.

#8 ·
I use aquasoil as cap in all my tanks... you can check out the journal for yourself. It's my favourite combination for substrate. I don't use a mesh to separate the layers; the lighter aquasoil does a good job of staying on top, and plants with shallow roots grow better in it than say a gravel cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.