The Planted Tank Forum banner

How would you do the substrate for a 75?

638 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  klibs 
#1 ·
So, after my recent losses I'm leaning towards re-scaling my whole tank some point come winter break. I'm thinking as part of this that it might make sense and be slightly lower maintenance if I were to have a better substrate than just eco-complete. It might also help me deal with some algae as well since I may as well clean all the crud from the glass and from the substrate, kinda give myself a fresh start.

I've had better luck with dirted tanks, and have half a large bag of aqua soil laying around doing nothing. I'm thinking perhaps it might be worth my time to make a substrate mix and cap it with eco-complete. I would do mineralized top soil but I don't think I have the means to go about making enough MTS until the summer when it will be hot enough outside to dry out and bake the substrate (unless I don't understand how to make MTS and am going about the idea all wrong).

Thoughts? What do you guys like doing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.