The Planted Tank Forum banner

any ideas?

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Rex Grigg 
#1 ·
i am new to this hobby and as i research flourite is on of a good substrate for plant tank and i do not know anything esle beccause at my lfs they sell only flourite. can you recommend something else if it is available local (houston tx ) is better?
also i am set ut this tank (110g) for discuss and plant i have about 1-1/2 to 2 inches of gravel which is brown in color and the sixe is 1cm in diameter. i think this is sold in the paper bag named filter media. here are my questions?

is it a good substrate for plant tank?
can i mix it with flourite ( brand name sea chem)
or i just lay about 2 inches of frourite on the top of the other gravel?

Please give me recommendation, thanks in advance.

#4 ·
Eco-Complete, made by CaribSea, is exactly like Flourite but better. First, it's black which makes it more visually appealing. And it doesn't need rinsing like Flourite. It has smaller granules, and it also contains live bacteria that help cycle the tank, and regenerate nutrients in the substrate. Eco-Complete usually runs about $25 a bag(20lb). But I'm sure in Houston, TX you can find any substrate locally. Red Sea is located there, I think you can Flora Base way cheaper than how much it's sold for now. :)

#6 ·
Are these full grown discus or are they juveniles? Best to grow out young discus in a bare bottom tank because the constant feeding will quickly foul a planted tank, you just can't clean up all the missed food. If they are adult or wild caught adults, then a planted tank is fine, is you have enought to "distrubute" the agression. (Not a discus person yet, but I've looked into it quite seriously.)

Have you tried City Pets (Beechnut at Beltway 8 ) for Eco-complete? They also have the best price for flourite, I think.

#9 ·
ok 50/50 but mix them together or lay each of susbstrate seperate?
yah at city pet they have flourite $15 a bag(15lbs)
did you see the plant/discus tank at citypet? it looks awesome to me.
by the way i want to ask you a question: what kind of co2 reactor or diffuser i need and price, reliability, and where?

#10 ·
houstonplant said:
ok 50/50 but mix them together or lay each of susbstrate seperate?
yah at city pet they have flourite $15 a bag(15lbs)
did you see the plant/discus tank at citypet? it looks awesome to me.
by the way i want to ask you a question: what kind of co2 reactor or diffuser i need and price, reliability, and where?
Mix or layer, they will be mixed eventually, may as well mix at the start, IMO.

Yes, just grow out the discus before you add them to the planted tank, and be sure to use plants that can take the heat.

CO2 reactor: I use a Plantguild power reactor for the pressurized system in my biggest tank and a DIY version of the same thing in the DIY CO2 tank. I got from Aquabotanic with All in one regulator and CO2 proof tubing (I know it is cheaper elsewhere but I spend a lot of time on that board so it helps pay the bills). If you want the equipment out of the tank there are plans for DIY external reactors online. I hear that the glass diffusers are heck to clean, but I don't know that for sure. I think the big tank at City Pets uses a glass diffuser, stop and ask them next time you are in. The big tank at Village Tropical uses Carbo+, but the device needs monthly cleaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.