I have SMS Charcoal and I love it. It took a little over 1-50lb bag to fill my 75gallon 3-5" deep.
1. How has this affected your planting and scapes?
- Not much at all, however you do need to add root tabs because it contains little nutrients.
2. What, if anything, do you mix it with to give it more weight? (This is my most important question) How well does it work in making it heavier?
- I used peat moss on the bottom and mixed in 1 bag of Eco-complete for added nutrition. It is light at first but becomes water logged after a couple of weeks. I recommend using some plant weights till plants take root.
3. How do snails (like MTS burrowing) affect SMS?
- I do have several snails which came with my plants and they seem to be thriving. Also do to its smaller grain size, I would assume most burrowing animals would be fine with it.
4. If you create a hill or a slope, will it stay, or will the slightest movement from a fish or snail or shrimp shift it?
- It seems to stay in place just as gravel would. One thing to note is that when it is disturbed (i.e. by me moving plants), it does create more dust than gravel.
FILSTAR Pimp #24!!! (XP3)
75g Planted, 10lb CO2, 2x65Watt PC, 2x40Watt OD Fl,
20lbs eco, 70lbs SMS Charcaol, dose w/PMDD,
ph 6.4, temp 84 degF, hardness 50-80ppm, Alk 40, NO3=5ppm, NO2/NH3-N = 0,
4-Amazon Swds, 10 Ammania gracilis, 1-Red Tiger Lotus, Red Cabomba, Rotala wallichii, Glosso, Javamoss, & Misc