The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pool Filter Sand

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  discuspaul 
#1 ·
I am setting up a 120 gallon tank and I was going to use just PFS since it's for Discus. Is 3" still the amount I should go with? What do you think of putting 1.5" layer of Walmart Special Kitty Litter under it? Then 1.5" PFS.. Or is there something else that will be better for the plants under the sand. I would like something that is a similar color to the sand so I won't have mixing of colors. I don't like the way that looks. Thanks for any help / suggestions :)

#3 · (Edited)
I don't know, but I think if you use that much substrate even PFS, it'll be too much for a discus tank. I think you'll have a hard time vacuuming up all the crud, and you'll have a lot of nitrates to deal with. Also remember you'll need to do a LOT of water changes. Up to 100% DAILY. Discus prefer zero nitrates and very clean water.

You might be better to consider tying some swords and Anubis to some driftwood, and then have a dusting of PFS to just cover the bottom of the tank. Especially if you are getting discus less than about 5 inches. If they are that small you need to feed about 6 time a day. Think about all the vacuuming you'll have to do, and how clean the water needs to be for discus. That's why the 'expert' discus grower outers won't raise baby discus in anything but a bare bottom tank with nothing in it but a sponge filter, a regular filter, a heater and water. That's it. It allows them to keep the tank clean. If your tank isn't immaculate, you'll get stunted fish that will never reach the adult size. Baby discus require even cleaner water than adult discus.

#4 ·
For best results imo, keeping the focus on the discus' well-being is primary, rather than concern for plant growth & development, I suggest using only PFS, encouraging rooted plant growth with root tab ferts. Layer it in thinly at the front, in the open area swimming spaces, say 1/2" or so, and no more than 2"- 2.5" in the rear planted areas. Leave yourself room in, around & behind the plantings to permit you to do a good substrate cleaning job with a vac.

#7 ·
NU2Plants, I plan to grow the Discus out for a while in bare bottom 55. The 55 is currently my planted tank. I am still planning but I have to migrate anything I'm keeping from the 55 into the 120.

Discus Paul, Thank you for that. I didn't want to bother you with more questions!
No problem at all, Meredith, PM me anytime you wish if you have any further questions. I'm always happy to help out if I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.