The Planted Tank Forum banner

Substrate too deep? Advice and suggestion

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  thegasman 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some advice or suggestions about the depth of my substrate. Wanting to know if the substrate is too deep specifically. It's been planted for 10 days with ok growth. The HC Cuba isn't doing well though. I'm dosing API CO2 Booster daily and API Leaf every other day. Here are the particulars:

46 gallon bowed front
Marineland 200 HOB Filter
Marine land Single LED light bar
30lbs of Flourite Substrate
50lbs of pool filter sand

The plants are HC Cuba, Ludwigia Repens, Eleocharis and Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae.

Thanks is advance...

Jav31

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about removing some of the sand.

I received the LED light with the aquarium package. I'm currently looking for a replacement for probably medium tech. Plan on putting Discus in the tank in about 3-4 weeks too.

#4 ·
I agree with GT, the sand does look a little deep; but, photos can be deceiving. Do you have any measurements of how deep it? IMO 10 days is pretty short to truly tell how plats are doing because they are going to be going through shock for at least a week or more depending on the plant. Also, HC is a notoriously slow grower and a medium pace grower in IDEAL conditions so it's not too surprising it hasn't "taken off" yet. Personally, I would monitor the tank for another week and make another assessment then.

#6 ·
That tank is way too small for discus. They need at least 10 gallons each and do best in groups of 7 or more. I made this mistake already. 90+ gallons is needed. As far as the HC goes, high light and high co2 work best. Can you grow it under different conditions? Sure, but it won't grow well. It is a slow growing plant, but with proper conditions, it looks awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.