Fine vs Course grade. - The Planted Tank Forum

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Parahnoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 80
Fine vs Course grade.

Hi guys, I'm currently torn between buying course grade Eco-Complete substrate and fine grade. I will be using it in a 20g planted tank with shrimp. I imagine that the fine grade would be better for root growth, but the course grade would be easier to scape (would probably stay in place better) and would also weigh plants down easier. Which do you guys think would be better for me to use?
Parahnoyd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 145
Re: Fine vs Course grade.

+1. I just wanted to chime in on this thread because today I was asking myself the exact same question. Am curious to hear what folks think.
thornomad is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kelowna
Posts: 1,892
shift is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Posts: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parahnoyd View Post
Hi guys, I'm currently torn between buying course grade Eco-Complete substrate and fine grade. I will be using it in a 20g planted tank with shrimp. I imagine that the fine grade would be better for root growth, but the course grade would be easier to scape (would probably stay in place better) and would also weigh plants down easier. Which do you guys think would be better for me to use?
Fine grade. The substrate performs a highly valuable function beyond merely aquascaping. Do some searching on it's importance.
Steve001 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Parahnoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Fine grade. The substrate performs a highly valuable function beyond merely aquascaping. Do some searching on it's importance.
Aquascaping was not my primary concern. I was just trying to list pros and cons to fine vs. coarse gravel. Also, I am completely aware of the importance of substrate and the minerals and such that it provides plants with. Please do not assume that just because I am unaware of the full benefits of fine vs. coarse gravel, that I don't know anything about substrate in general.
Parahnoyd is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Parahnoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 80
With that being said, thank you for the advice Steve001.
Parahnoyd is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 123
Some fish really appreciate a finer substrate. Do you know your live stock plan?

If you plan on Corys, loaches, german rams, or any burrowing/sifting fish then the fine substrate is the better choice for sure.

A more consistent grain size looks better too in my opinion, but that is more of a taste issue.
Zolek is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Parahnoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolek View Post
Some fish really appreciate a finer substrate. Do you know your live stock plan?

If you plan on Corys, loaches, german rams, or any burrowing/sifting fish then the fine substrate is the better choice for sure.

A more consistent grain size looks better too in my opinion, but that is more of a taste issue.
It's going to be stocked with shrimp and ottos. I ended up buying the fine grade. Hope it does well!
Parahnoyd is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Planted Member
 
Alaskan Fishface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 207
I'd go with the fine grain with shrimp and ottos. Post pictures
Alaskan Fishface is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Parahnoyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Morgantown, WV
Posts: 80
Re: Fine vs Course grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Fishface View Post
I'd go with the fine grain with shrimp and ottos. Post pictures
I'll try to post pics once the substrate arrives. Thanks for all the input guys!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Parahnoyd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome