The Planted Tank Forum banner

Adding to Gravel

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Chillax719 
#1 ·
Hi. Im not new to keeping fish, but am fairly new to planted tanks. I started out with a few anubias in my 100g, as sort of practice.

Now, Im thinking of adding more plants. I have been looking to place stargrass, vals, corkscrew vals, dwarf hg and dwarf sags. My current substrate is ~2 inches of pea gravel. I have read these plants will grow in gravel, but may need to be supplemented with root tabs.

I was wondering if it would help to add sand just in the areas I plant on, or is there a way of putting in an enriched substrate into an established tank?

I have a 100g with a 35g sump, loaded with jap mats and 6 lbs of media supplemented by a few ammonia and nitrite reducing pads. I have an HBRTG, IT, Flagtail and 5 Clown Loaches, so it isnt heavily stocked. I probably wont get an ammonia spike if I disturb the gravel, so it could be an option.

I understand that the loaches may eat the plants, but Im willing to work with it. I figure Ill keep them well fed.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Reality is an illusion, caused by alcohol deficiency.

See less See more
#2 ·
People have had great success with gravel and root tabs. You can buy or DIY some osmocote root tabs for cheap instead of buying some overpriced brand. I was in your situation and tried root tabs and mixing substrates, but I just ended up switching the whole thing to a dirt substrate lol

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I may just go for it, but Ill probably add sand over then areas I plant to help keep things in place. Will the Osmocote 14-14-14 do?

Its gonna get expensive to put aquasoil or the like in a 100g, but Id love to be able to do so.

#5 ·
I was thinking of mixing coarse 1-2mm sand with fine sand and then dropping it on the planting area. Im hoping to create a denser, more compact section to help the plants a bit before the root and to hopefully slow down the release of the root tabs.

Its just a thought. Hope it works. Thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.