The Planted Tank Forum banner

Substrate for growing Eriocaulons emersed?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Aquaticz 
#1 ·
Could use advice on what substrate to use to grow Eriocaulons emersed?
Also would appreciate any other cultural tips for growing these plants emersed.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Bill,

When I started growing plants emersed, including Erios, I used ADA Amazonia I but I found it to be expensive. Then I tried just plain heat treated Montmorillonite clay products like Turface, cheap non-clumping kitty litter, Oil-Dri, and Safe-T-Sorb but they do not contain any nutrients and if I failed to water/fertilize regularly the plants suffered.

Now I use Miracle-Gro Potting Mix (not organic or moisture control) capped with a very thin layer of Montmorillonite clay (Oil-Dri), I use just enough clay to cover the potting mix, no more. Why? Because with our extremely soft water here in Seattle cyanobacteria (BGA) can grow easily and with a dark substrate it can be difficult to see.

The first two pictures I also posted in your other thread and the Erios are growing in ADA Amazonia I. The third and fourth picture I just took and it is Miracle-Gro capped with Oil-Dri. If you look closely you can see that the Erio on the left is ready to be divided. In addition in the lower part of the picture you can see where the Oil-Dri looks 'dirty', actually that is BGA trying to get established....I treated the BGA and put the plants back under the lights (last pic).

Miracle-Gro Potting Mix has time/temperature released Osmocote fertilizer in it that will last for 3 months or more. I augment the Osmocote by watering with Miracle-Gro Water Soluble General Purpose Fertilizer which I mix at 1/2 strength.

Happy Growing!

#3 ·
Roy, thanks so much for all your input. I shall give it a try.
What temperature were they grown at?
Also, I have read that they like acid conditions. Did you you do anything specil for them? I was thinking of usuing oak leaf molf, Miracle Grow Organic top soil and earthworm castings as a substrate. That I would cap with red Flourite.
Your thoughts?
Bill

#4 ·
Hi Bill,

I think the most difficult part of the process was converting the plants from submerged to emersed without having them go into 'shock' due to excessive transpiration. I grow my emersed plants in the garage (only place my wife will let me - lol) with seed starter heating mats under the 'peptents'. I set the themostat for the heat mats at about 70F. In the summer the garage faces south so it gets 90 degrees and in the winter the ambient temperature drops down to about 40 degree but with the heat mats the temperature in the 'peptents' stay at about 55+.

I don't do anything to make the conditions more acidic, my substrate is what I mentioned above Miracle-Gro Potting Mix. I am not aware that Miracle-Gro makes an organic potting mix; they do make an organic potting soil but that is not the same. The potting mix does have plenty of sphagnum moss so the mix is probably acidic but I have not tested it.

Here is a thread on my emersed set-up which will tell you more about the light bulbs and here is information on how I make my 'Peptents' (sorry, blog form so I could include the pictures).

Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.