Akadama alternative - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,475
There are several great buffering soils on the market. Some are better than others.

But the most expensive of the ones mentioned is shrimp sand - and it's my opinion that you're paying more than the stuff is worth. In this journal, I compare it based on price and size to Azoo Plant Grower Bed:



Fluval's products are solid (the people who have problems do the silly thing and rinse it - don't do that, as it's dirt). Brightwell makes good soils. Mr. Aqua makes nice stuff.

Akadama in only popular, as mentioned above, because it's often cheap and available at garden supply stores and bonsai shops.

You've got tons of options and they all cost around $20-$30 for enough to fill a standard 20gal long. Unless you're talking Shrimp Sand... and then you're looking at $100+.
somewhatshocked is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Alyssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 853
I wouldn't use fluval stratum again for tiger shrimps if they PAID me to. As soon as I removed that junk from their tank they stopped dying. Was the LAST thing it could have been too, so I'm convinced it is bad news for tiger shrimps.

My yellows and cherries however seem to do just fine with it.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

SAPS | sfbaaps | SAS
My Tank(s) Blog
| TPT Clubs: RAOK Club #7 | Fraternity of Dirt #62 | ADA Club #2 |
Alyssa is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
OverStocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoDak
Posts: 10,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
As far as plants are concerned, it will not matter for the SMS vs the Akadama.
They function similarly.
But I think the op is talking about substrates for shrimp.
OverStocked is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
But I think the op is talking about substrates for shrimp.
If that is the case............then plain sands will do a better job for the $. Buffering is not an attribute that is really helpful in their aquaculture.

Peat, baking soda, RO water etc.

Sort of defeats the point.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
If that is the case............then plain sands will do a better job for the $. Buffering is not an attribute that is really helpful in their aquaculture.

Peat, baking soda, RO water etc.

Sort of defeats the point.
What do you mean? What if I intend to use tap water?
motomoto is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
OverStocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SoDak
Posts: 10,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
If that is the case............then plain sands will do a better job for the $. Buffering is not an attribute that is really helpful in their aquaculture.

Peat, baking soda, RO water etc.

Sort of defeats the point.
Wha?

Substrates that soften water are very useful for keeping softwater species of shrimp. It makes it much easier to do using moderate tap water.

Substrates like Shrimp sand and other shrimp specific like BW and BB keep the water in ideal parameters for upwards of a year and do it with really no "dosing" or guesswork like using peat or humic acid or the like.
OverStocked is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,475
Buffering soils for shrimp are great for stability. Especially if you're using RO/DI water and such.

For me, when I use ADA Aquasoil, it's just sort of a fail safe. Less chance I'm going to really muck things up if I accidentally add a bit too much Mineral Plus Ultra or overdo it on the RO top-offs once every few days.

It's a bit of a "cheat" for me and I really like having that opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Wha?

Substrates that soften water are very useful for keeping softwater species of shrimp. It makes it much easier to do using moderate tap water.

Substrates like Shrimp sand and other shrimp specific like BW and BB keep the water in ideal parameters for upwards of a year and do it with really no "dosing" or guesswork like using peat or humic acid or the like.
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
youjettisonme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Francisco, CA U
Posts: 692
Agree completely on buffering shrimp soil. It is a huge PIA to constantly be trying to lower the tank's ph using other methods. You don't have to fret when you use something like Akadama.

------------------------------------------

http://www.migrantworkingbee.com/aqu...dama/july2.jpg
youjettisonme is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,475
For me, it's not about lowering pH. Just an added bonus that many shrimp substrates help stabilize some parameters.
somewhatshocked is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Warlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
For me, it's not about lowering pH. Just an added bonus that many shrimp substrates help stabilize some parameters.
i have to always remember when i am reading here.. i need to tell the difference between people that have PLANTED tanks.. with shrimp..

or SHRIMP TANKS with plants..

i look for the latter..
Warlock is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
HD Blazingwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 4,907
We have many smart people here. heck there are poeple geting itno glass blowing

why doesn't someone smart just come up and go HEY
why don't we make our own fired soil substrates tha buffer the water the way we want
and make lots of money afterwards
im not that guy but i hope someone reads this that is
USA MADE fired soil at a decent price will make poop tons of money on forums that are looking for the same thing
HD Blazingwolf is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
We have many smart people here. heck there are poeple geting itno glass blowing

why doesn't someone smart just come up and go HEY
why don't we make our own fired soil substrates tha buffer the water the way we want
and make lots of money afterwards
im not that guy but i hope someone reads this that is
USA MADE fired soil at a decent price will make poop tons of money on forums that are looking for the same thing
Yeah, I'd buy that. If it worked, of course.
meowschwitz is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Aquatic Delight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
i have to always remember when i am reading here.. i need to tell the difference between people that have PLANTED tanks.. with shrimp..

or SHRIMP TANKS with plants..

i look for the latter..

i don't think you could have worded that any better.
Aquatic Delight is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 111
where do you buy the Azoo Plant Grower Bed? What's a good price for it?
shd17 is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Planted Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: japan
Posts: 161
I think I seen it for sale at marinedepot
sepulvd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome