The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone tried Zoo Med Reptisand?

13K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  kal_daka87 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Not sure about this, but doesn't reptile sand have calcium added into it?

#3 ·
yes I have it in two tanks.

Wash it really really really well..... or your tank will turn blue for about ten water changes.

just when you think your done washing it... wash it some more :):)

but it looks good underwater and as a substrate... and I have corries in both tanks and all have full barbels... so its safe for them too..

I bury root tabs in mine and that works well for swords and other rooted plants.

#5 ·
I don't think you should use it. Dr. Foster and Smith had this in the description, and it makes it sound as though there is calcium in the Reptisand. Which, is obviously bad for most fish.

•Offer a dish of vitamin/calcium powder to prevent over-consumption of sand in substrate-consuming reptiles.

#10 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to give some clarification regarding calcium in the sand. ZooMed makes 2 kinds of sand. Reptisand which comes in White, Black and Red, and Vitasand wich comes in an assortment of colours.

Reptisand is pure natural quartz sand. There are no colours or vitamins (calcium) added. It is inert, if a bit dusty. It is the Vitasand that has all the calcium in it. It also has dyes added.

There are a few other substrates made by zoomed for reptiles, but only the reptisand is aquarium safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.