The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA Aquasoil Powder in 75 Gallon

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jeff5614 
#1 ·
Question 1: Will this even work. I know the powder was made for smaller nano aquariums but I really like the fine grain look.

Question 2: Does this stuff break down over time? I've heard it turns into basically mud after a few years and then needs to be replaced. I've been going for a darker brown sandy look and have concerned Flourite Sand as an alternative.

Question 3: Where in the hell can I find this stuff??? I've read it used to be a lot cheaper. The cheapest I've seen it for is around $54 for the 9L Powder.

Question 4: How many bags would I need for a 75 gallon? 48" x 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
From what I've seen, AS Powder is usually used as a top layer, especially on larger
tanks, with regular AS being the bulk of the substrate. I would think the larger grain size would be better other than the top layer since it seems it would allow for better circulation through the substrate.

It does break down over time, but it's just soil that has been pelletized so that can be expected. That being said, I've had the same AS Normal in my tank for over 19 months and can still see the individual pellets, but I've not messed with it since the initial planting.

Where to find it would be Aquaforest Aquarium and Aquatic Garden. Aquarium Zen in Seattle is also an authorized ADA dealer. They don't have an online sales presence, but who knows, maybe they would ship you some. You can find some on ebay and Amazon from time to time. It's not cheap either way, but then none of what would be considered premium substrates ( AS, Brightwell Volcanit, Aquavitro Aquasolum, etc. ) are cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.