The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cycling Aquasoil with Prime

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tlriot 
#1 ·
I've been planning a new tank and decided on Aquasoil for the easy cycling opportunity, and was going to do the usual routine of daily WC for the first week, every other day second week, etc. But I was also planning on using Prime in the tank.

My concern is with the ammonia readings using Prime. While cycling should I use a more basic water conditioner so I can get more reliable readings until I get to 0.0ppm? I don't really just say screw testing and trust the month plan, since this is my first time using Aquasoil and it's been a while in this hobby.

#2 ·
Never hurt's to use PRIME at water change if water going back into the tank is treated with chloramine.
If water going back into the tank is only treated with chlorine from treatment plant then basic water conditioner would be fine.
Aquasoil will produce ammonia as well as untreated chloramine and that plus possibly too much light,would/could give algae a great opportunity hence the suggested water changes with the AS.
I would just treat water change(s) as though I had fishes present along with as many plant's as I could fit in the tank.
Would be stingy with the lighting period as soon as the soil got wet.
maybe would have straight six hour photoperiod for first 6 to 8 week's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.