Cycling with Aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sfshrimp
  • 1 Post By sfshrimp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cycling with Aquasoil

So after all the hours of research I did on substrates, I finally purchased Amazonia Aquasoil. Somehow I never ran across the fact that it leaches ammonia to help with the initial cycle. I plan on planting on day one. Will the high levels of ammonia kill the plants or do I need to do the daily water changes that I am seeing? Can I just use an ammonia detoxifier like Prime or will that just delay the cycle? I am really not looking forward to doing daily water changes on a 60 gallon tank until the ammonia levels drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

You should definitely plant right away. Not only is it easier, but the plants will use the ammonia and settle in faster. As long as it doesn't get too high they won't be damaged. When I cycled mine it never got above 2.0 ppm, I think anything higher than 5.0ppm you should do a water change. I also recommend doing more water changes maybe not everyday, but somewhat frequentl. I didnt do them that frequently, which is fine, but the ADA lowers the ph. THe low ph slows bacteria growth you need so in the short term you want to keep the ph close to netural until the tank is cycled. Keeping is close to neutral will also help cycle the tank faster. Yes, you can use prime.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

Ammonia will not harm your plants, only livestock. So unless you are dosing ei and need to do a weekly water change, water changes will not be necessary.

AquaMaxx 22gal Long (Journal to come)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IF you want to do the ada method you are supposed to do 50% water change every day for first week. Every other day second week. Twice a week third week. Once a week for the rest of eternity. I did this method and my plants are growing so fast they almost double in size every third day. I also used tourmaline BC, penac P and W and the ADA step 1 liquid.
Jeff5614 likes this.

Lost and Tomorrow - 12G Long Tank Journal
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:31 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshrimp View Post
IF you want to do the ada method you are supposed to do 50% water change every day for first week. Every other day second week. Twice a week third week. Once a week for the rest of eternity. I did this method and my plants are growing so fast they almost double in size every third day. I also used tourmaline BC, penac P and W and the ADA step 1 liquid.
Yep that's the ADA playbook. Someone will come on here and show you a tank that they didn't do any water changes, threw fish in within the first week and everything is rosy.

You need to do the water changes to reduce overall ammonia so algae is somewhat controlled as well. It's not only about removing EI Dosing and protecting fish .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Yep that's the ADA playbook. Someone will come on here and show you a tank that they didn't do any water changes, threw fish in within the first week and everything is rosy.

You need to do the water changes to reduce overall ammonia so algae is somewhat controlled as well. It's not only about removing EI Dosing and protecting fish .
I think disinformation is the best part of this board. You have to pick and choose who are the vanguards of the truth. What do you mean removing "EI Dosing" and protecting fish? Just curious because I am doing both - fish and EI dosing. Someone also told me you can't pre-mix EI dosing ferts which I didn't understand.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Suspended

Quote:
I think disinformation is the best part of this board. You have to pick and choose who are the vanguards of the truth. What do you mean removing "EI Dosing" and protecting fish? Just curious because I am doing both - fish and EI dosing. Someone also told me you can't pre-mix EI dosing ferts which I didn't understand.
I just mean when you do the weekly water changes it's to reset the tank so the ferts don't keep building up and to protect the fish against ammonia.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I just mean when you do the weekly water changes it's to reset the tank so the ferts don't keep building up and to protect the fish against ammonia.

Ok, makes sense. But you can mix EI ferts in RO water right?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Ok, makes sense. But you can mix EI ferts in RO water right?
Yep that's fine.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like as long as the ammonia doesn't get too high (and I don't use any sensitive plants) I should be ok doing 1 or 2 large water changes a week.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would recommend doing the ADA method and do 50% water changes 1st week, every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waters View Post
Ok, thanks for all of the replies. It sounds like as long as the ammonia doesn't get too high (and I don't use any sensitive plants) I should be ok doing 1 or 2 large water changes a week.
houseofcards likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode