The Planted Tank Forum banner

Substrate additives for new low tech tank

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Bananableps 
#1 ·
Hello! I'm setting up a small low tech tank. In my previous tank I used sand and root tabs. I'm going to use sand again, but I was considering adding something below the sand to add some extra nutrients. I've read about people using clay, cat litter, something called safetysorb, and peat.

Are any of theses options appropriate for a low light/low tech tank? Or should I just stick with the root tabs? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you!

#2 ·
Osmocote Plus (Walmart) is slow release fertilizer used by many (me too).
Clay,cat litter,safe-T-sorb all have the ability to hold nutrient's but provide few if any by themselves.
Can also make root tab's from the osmocote by sprinkling them in ice cube tray with water and freezing them.

#6 ·
Sure. They are used in the Walstad method and it doesn't get much lower tech than that. :) Usually dolomite is only used if you need the hardness boost and peat is the opposite. Although I've found many accounts of people using them regardless of water parameters with success.

I have slightly hard very alkaline water so my current planted tank I setup with osmocote + and peat (1st time using peat) under flourite sand with low light, no ferts and my crypts have sent out babies faster than ever before.

#9 ·
See only Aunbia that would benefit much more with water column dosing of fertilizer rather than loading the substrate.
Osmocote is slow release, and will be some time before it leaches into water column to benefit the Anubia very much.
Might would raise the water level in the tank so that water fall effect from the filter is eliminated and only rippling effect can be observed.
Would also see about Flourish comprehensive at twice a week for the Anubia and dimmer lighting if algae begin;s to form on the edges of the Anubia leaves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.