The Planted Tank Forum banner

Black Diamond Blasting Sand

29K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  natemcnutty 
#1 ·
#7 ·
20/40 grit for me as well.30/60 grit is finer.
I too saw the photo a couple year's ago.
Could have been just something that found it's way into that particular bag/batch or..staged .
I found a mouse on my whopper from Burger King,(not really) but would happily settle out of court, for free whopper's for life.

#9 ·
Count me in the good luck with bdbs column. I use 30/60 as it is whats available locally. I also have cory who are doing well in it.

#15 ·
#14 · (Edited)
So got the redo done . Took about 2 hours . I found nothing in the BDBS but the grit and some larger pieces that I just sifted out . It did take a lot of rinsing . Once in the tank it settled quickly in about 30 mins . It is almost crystal clear again now about 3 hours after done . I like the look and it is much easier to plant in . Thanks to all for helping with my concerns and giving me the confidence to try it . I recommend BDBS to all with planted tanks .
Here is a pic about an hour after finishing . The MTS and Ramshorns don't know what to do yet , but the fish love it....lol

#19 ·
nope,it's pretty small.I set up a tank with it as a cap over MGOCPM,rinsed it in a bucket while stirring it with my hands,didn't get any cuts,no foreign material either.

it did leave an oily looking residue that washed out with plain water on the bucket though.

#28 ·
I originally put two bags in and it worked just fine. I didn't use any dirt just BDS. I later added a 1/4-1/2 bag more just to build my scape up a bit. I'd buy three if that's the only tank you have. If your dirting then 3 should be plenty. If you've got the extra dough and multiple tanks buy a fourth bag, you'll want it in more than just the 75 and it's not bad to have a bit extra just in case you wanna change things up.

#27 ·
Yea I have a standard 75 and it says 200lbs for 4 inch depth , but 4 bags @ $9 a bag no biggie . I just wash it in a bucket like some have said and I have read some use a pillow case to rinse it in . It doesn't take as long as you might think.....lol

#29 ·
Not to hijack but I have a tractor supply close by. They have the stuff in stock but they have a medium and a fine listed without any mention of the grits listed like you guys are showing.

Any correlation and does one do better than the other? I have used eco complete in the past, Ada aquasoil and one of those turf builder baked clay products (can't remember the name).

#34 ·
Has anyone used this stuff with Dwarf shrimp? Neo's to be precise.
I was debating snagging a few bags for my new 20 longs (I got 8!) that need substrate for shrimp, while doing split builds with a portion dedicated to amazonia in each tank to help buffer.
Thought I'd ask on an existing post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.