The Planted Tank Forum banner

JBL AquaBasis Plus

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Botanic 
#1 ·
I am going to set up a 5 gallon tank with a lot of plants.
I got a very good deal getting JBL ProFlora Start, which is a package that includes JBL AquaBasis Plus.

When I ordered the thing, I thought that it was all I needed for substrate.
Now after some more research I realize that the AquaBasis Plus is meant as a base layer underneath some other gravel.
JBL recommends their Mando substrate on top of the AquaBasis.

I have 5 liters of AquaBasis Plus (which is enough for 100 - 200 litre tanks if used underneath other gravel). So the amount I have would be enough to use as the only substrate in my 19 litre tank.

To me the picture on the package looks as if it's ok to use the AquaBasis Plus as the only substrate:
https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=products&func=detail&id=2348#details

According to this page the substrate should be covered with something else:
Guide to Substrates by George Farmer | UK Aquatic Plant Society

I'm a bit confused.
I would like to use the product since I already bought it.
Are there any downsides in using the AquaBasis Plus as the only substrate in my tank?

See less See more
#2 ·
you need to cover it with gravel, otherwise you will get mess.
For a 5gallon i would use ADA amazonia or EBi gold plant substrate.
Aquabasis consist of micronutrients only and is a single step up from plain gravel. next step would be dirted tank while final step in substrate upgrade is active substrates than contains macronutrients and PH buffer capacities.
for such a small tank it is a nobrainer to go with the best option available.
5L ebigold package costs like 25eur.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
If it will be messy and not any good with the AquaBasis Plus without spending more money to get a big bag of their Manado product, I might as well try and sell the whole bucket.
Hopefully I will find someone setting up a bigger tank in the need of a JBL ProFlora Start or AquaBasis Plus.

The ProFlora Start contains 100 ml of JBL Ferropol and 10 ml of JBL Ferropol 24.
If I can't find a buyer I can always use those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.