The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The official EDGE thread
View Single Post
post #1834 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

I thought I'd share my new Edge that is currently cycling with some plants. I was completely underwhelmed with the stock LED lighting, so I read every page of this thread and decided to build a DIY lightbar with "superbrighleds" using an idea that another member had for the fixture. I went to home depot and bought an aluminum L channel.

Then mitre cut the aluminum with a dremel and a cutoff disc. (I remembered reading that the hood was actually not square and wider at one end. I accounted for this and made the narrower end the front, so the mitre cuts ended up being slightly wider than 90 degrees from each other. Then I used JB weld to join the 3 parts.

I bought 3/4" aluminum square bar too and cut that into three to make a lighting support/heatsink for the LED's, and JB welded those 3 pieces together and affixed the LED's with their adhesive backing. I drilled a hole to feed the LED leads into the square bar.

Then I sanded, spray painted it black and clear-coated the outer L shaped fixture.

Then, it was just a matter of welding the lightbar into the L channel fixture.

I had planned on having the Light strip hug all sides of the stock hood, but I found the light coverage is much better at the front by pulling it out a bit, and I don't hate the look, so it's staying as is now. Here's my freshly planted tank with the added DIY lightbar.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome