I was working on this some more the other night. (Still) in anticipation of the new fish I decided that I needed to have a more consistent fine gravel/coarse sand substrate, so I removed all of the old substrate, then screened out the larger gravel and mixed it with some sugar-size aragonite. I like the appearance.
I also tidied up the planting, but it will need some more time to grow in. I settled on the theme of using the Phalaris
'Strawberries & Cream' ribbon grass in several planters as the main background plant in combination with Ruellia
and a couple other stem plants. There is also an Acrostichum
leather fern in there. I need to add more trellis rafts with aluminum plant to better cover up the planters.
I removed the little group of Limia
, so the underwater area looks pretty bare right now. The Cryptoheros
are still in there, but hiding in the shadows in this shot.