The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Aqueon Evolve woes... what should I do?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Aqueon Evolve woes... what should I do?

I recently set up an Aqueon Evolve 4 as a nano shrimp tank. I got it all planted and set up when I realized I have a big filtration problem. The Evolve has a "false back" that hides the filtration. The intake goes into a small compartment with the filtration media, then the water spills into another compartment with the pump.

Here's a diagram of how the water is supposed to flow. The green box highlights the media compartment where the water is drawn in:

Unfortunately, my unit seems to have a bit of a defect. There's a gap on the bottom of my false back that allows water underneath the false back, and straight into the pump. I didn't really know this would be an issue until I got the tank all set up, planted, and cycling. I noticed that there was no movement in the media compartment. The water is stagnant, and I don't see any water being sucked in through the intake holes (I can see little particles of dust floating in my water, but they're not moving towards the intake holes, which suggests there's no water being drawn there.)

Here's a diagram of what I think is happening. The false back is highlighted in red. The water is flowing under the gap and straight into the pump, bypassing the media entirely:

If I had realized this sooner, I would have sealed the gap, but now the tank is full and planted and I don't know what my options are. I was thinking I could layer some media underneath of the pump, but that still leaves the stagnant water in the media compartment, and wouldn't be very effective.

Any ideas about anything I can do, aside from breaking the whole tank down again and sealing the gap? I dropped a bag of bio media in the bottom compartment next to the pump, and I wrapped the pump in foam so that it doesn't choke on any debris, but I'm not sure what I can do other than that.

Thanks for reading! I'm really bummed out that I didn't realize this was an issue until too late, ugh!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome