The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - callisto9's 20G high planted tank - low tech
View Single Post
post #69 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Green is good
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
It depends on the type of plant & setup. Here's some folks growing basil in a hydroponics system.

If you're just beginning, it's really most important to pick a method that suits what you'd like to accomplish, and follow the specs as closely as possible: from the right substrate type and depth, the amount & type of lighting, and following the feeding/maintenance schedule.

As you get more experience, you can tweak things based on your conditions and as your expectations/wants change.

There's some good folks here though that do just about every type/method of tank out there in the world of planted aquariums... so hopefully you'll find what you need.
I think I'm good in my tank, thank you though. I was just trying to give Erin another option for her tank instead of starting completely over with new substrate. It truly does start with lighting as you say, but her's is rather low I believe, and she shouldn't need a ton of ferts. I can't really say anymore until she responds on whether she has added any fertilizers or not, and I guess what "gunk" is.

Wouldn't you like to beside the seaside?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome