The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Lighting for a 10 Gallon High Tech Setup
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (4/100%)
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Are you going to use a lid, or do you already have one of those hoods where the light just sits on top of a glass pane? I do, but I swapped the t8 housing for a twin lamp incandescent model that cost like 12 bucks - and put a pair of CFLs in it. Easiest and cheapest solution for me.

I have a clip on desk lamp with a 6500k CFL for my 5 gallon - two of these would work just fine for a 10, but they are more expensive than the cheap hood mount fixture. I use 2 10w 10k bulbs in the low tech 10 gallon, and 1 18w over the 5. I probably wouldn't go over 18w bulbs, even with co2, or you'll spend more time trimming plants than looking at the tank.
I was thinking the clamp lights as well. No I do not have any hoods for anything. This would be an open top. Those standard light hoods probably would be enough for this tank. I just want to make sure 2 cfl bulbs at 6,500K and 18 watts would be enough. I think they would, but I am just looking for the experienced folks on here to give a little insight. Didn't mean to scare everyone away with the "do not refer me to the par article" comment, lol, that article throws me for a loop, and I just rather hear, yes 2 cfl bulb will do, or no they wont and heres what you should do.

Thank for the looks.

55 Gallon Planted

3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome