The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA tanks vs Mr Aqua

11K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  CPDzeke 
#1 ·
So I'm looking at starting up a new aquarium, but so many choices! I do already know I'm not going with an acrylic kit such as Evolve, Spec, etc. So mainly looking at ADA and Mr Aqua. I noticed on the ADG shop that there are two different Mini Ms, one with clearer glass, but it costs twice as much! :eek:Is there really a difference? Can someone please post pics if possible? If there isn't that big a difference I'm also looking at the old Mini L. Do I need the glass cover if I'm using Finnex LEDs? (Trying to keep this within reasonable limits...)

One problem with the ADA tanks is that I can't find lighting to fit them properly. Finnex has an 18" Ray 2, but it has bad LEDs and no light on the sides. Could I get away with putting a larger light (20") on it, or would it look cheap? I was considering Mr Aqua's 7.5 gallon but I can't find retail stores for the non cube or bow front versions.:thumbsdow

Suggestions please... Here's some other random info:
Substrate: CaribSea Floramax
Filter: Aquaclear 20
Heater: Jager 50W
No CO2 (for now):sleep:
I want take some DHG and HC from my other tanks

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Another option is GLA nano aquarium which is the same size with ADA mini M. Finnex LED is very very bright and suitable for that tank size. I would say it is better than the Arhaea 27W fluorescent light.

Glass cover is not necessary unless you want to keep your fish from jumping.

#28 ·
Finnex LED is very very bright and suitable for that tank size. I would say it is better than the Arhaea 27W fluorescent light.

Glass cover is not necessary unless you want to keep your fish from jumping.
I disagree. I had better results with the Archea (I tried both lights) on my Mini M. With the Ray I it just wasn't enough light. The Ray II had some improvement (the HC grew slowly and it wasn't compact compared to the growth I had with the Archea) but still wasn't satisfactory.

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
http://www.aquatop.com/Aquarium_Livestock.html:thumbsdow
I found the Aquatop website but seriously WTF... If you click on any of the tank links it basically leads you to some random page. If you search separately I found retailers sell the Nano Sky 7 for about $150, waayyy too expensive.

I never said Finnex LEDs were bad, I just said that for some reason the 18" Ray 2 only has about 12" of actual LED. The others are fine...

#18 ·
If you are considering a Finnex light I'd encourage you to look at the schuber wright tank combos on [Ebay Link Removed] aquavibrant has them listed cheaper there.

I have a 4g low iron schuber wright tank and I love it. I keep saying I'll get another (bigger) but I haven't found the space in my house for it yet :) It's either going to be the 9gal SW or the 17.4g Mr Aqua - I just have to decide, and figure out where to put it.

#27 ·
Do!Aqua tanks are very nice, the glass is not as clear, but still not green glass, it is bluish clear from the examples I have seen. Then it is LIG or not LIG. I like LIG myself.

The next size closest to the Mini L, is the 45-P. $99.

The Mini M is a classic size , lots of ADA support products. You can use the Mini Lily Pipes, Mini Diffuser etc, where on the 45-P they recommend the larger size glassware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.