The Planted Tank Forum banner

Is this Red Root Floater?

11K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  kingjombeejoe 
#1 ·
I got this from the LFS labeled as RRF, but it doesn't look exactly like the RRF I've seen other people post. It's definately got some red, but it's very small and the roots do not have the featheryness I've seen. the leaves are about 1/4" diameter and the longest roots are about 2"

See less See more
#25 ·
The color of roots and leaves are often influenced by environmental factors like water nutrients and light intensity. They are therefore not very reliable for plant identification. But the anatomical (structural) features of plants are very stable across environments.

Since we know that red root floaters are populated through runners, when there is no runner and yet the plants keep populating themselves, we know that they cannot be red root floaters.

#26 ·
Taari - Not RRF
Firemedic269 - Not RRF
chris.rivera3 - That's RRF
mistahoo - Not frogbit. That's water lettuce
bluestems - I think you nailed what Taari has.

RRF propagates through runners, creating great big chains of RRF, not 4 leaf clusters. New leaves tend to curl up at the sides and overlap existing leaves, and with proper lighting you get little white flowers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.