The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nano tank maintenance questions

4K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  houseofcards 
#1 ·
So how do you nano owners go about doing water changes? I can't really siphon water out or put it in using a bucket or else I disturb the substrate, fish and plants.:help:
For now, I've been using a small 3 pint glass to take the water out then replace but it is such a PITA! Even though my aquarium is only 5.5 gallons it still takes forever.

#2 ·
I also have a 5.5 gallon. I always drain out about 50-80% of the water. When I refill the tank I put in a paper plate over part of the substrate. I then fill a 5 gallon bucket with water and use a glass to scoop water from the bucket and pour on the paper plate so it doesn't mess up the substrate or plants. Sounds complicated but it's not

#13 ·
K so you have to create a siphon like everyone one has said.

What is important is that the end of the tube NOT in ur tank has to be lower than the aquarium ur draining from.
Say ur aquarium is at about 4 ft off the ground, you have to make sure the other end of the end of the pipe not in the water is like at the 3 ft level.

Sometimes if ur lucky enough the water will push itself all the way through the tube. Most times you have to suck the end to get the air out. Personally I use a mini syringe.

The perks of having parents that work in the medical field.

#14 ·
Fill the tubing with water and hold both ends closed with your thumbs or fingers. Place one end into the tank and the other end outside the tank into a container making sure that the outflow end is lower than the inflow end. Gravity will take care of the rest. Still can't believe people suck out water with their mouths when it's that simple.

#17 ·
I use a 5 foot piece of tubing that I got from a hardware store. A quick inhale gets the water flowing and I never inhale any water. I rinse it out a couple of times after use. My vertical distance between the ends of the tube is about 3 feet, as long as the outflow is lower vertically than the inflow then you shouldn't have any problems.

#18 ·
For nanos around that size the best thing I've found is a hose somewhere between airline and 1/2" filter house. The airline tubing is so thin that one piece of gravel will clog it and it get's frustrating, but the next size up I guess around 1/4" or so is usually ideal from my experience.

#20 ·
Airline tubing-how you create a siphon is up to you. How far above the tank you raise the outgoing water container helps regulate the water flow. The higher above the tank you raise it, the faster the flow; conversely, as you lower it to tank level (or below) the flow rate slows (or stops).

You can direct the flow onto a piece of hardscape or against the sidewall of the tank/vase to help disperse the force of the water. For my smaller tanks--especially very shallow ones or those with sand- I'll put my thumb over the end and let it just barely dribble out.

#21 ·
i use the hose from a gravel vac, and a gloved hand on the end in the bucket to stop if needed.

i put mesh over the part in the tank (to save shrimp from being sucked up)

i refill
lets see if i can explain it...
a funnel in a filter hose piece (6" or so of hose) then i put the filter hose into a nitequil dose cap and press against the glass a bit to hold it just above the bottom of the dose cap. then pour water into the funnel.

the water goes up, not down into substrate, so nothing gets moved around.

Blank-4 by laq997, on Flickr

you could glue hose side to dose cup and that would help a LOT.

#22 ·
Also use an airline tubing, but agree with those who say it clogs easily. Pinching the clog helps it move along.

To refill, I mix water in a plastic juice pitcher (the old tupperware kind), place the lid on the water and slowly pour the water onto the lid. As the lid floats, it will stay at the water level and disperses the water so it doesn't disturb the substrate or plantings.

#31 ·
I have a standard 2.5 gallon, and I use the hose that came with my gravel vac. I just don't use the gravel vac itself. I put the bucket on the floor, and create a siphon from the tank to the bucket. When I refill, I put the bucket on top of stack of books next to the tank so it is higher than the tank. Then I just do the same siphoning from the bucket to the tank, and I hold the end of the hose against the glass so it doesn't disturb the substrate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.