The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval FX5 Canister Filter?

31K views 111 replies 22 participants last post by  shift 
#1 ·
Anyone have one? Are they worth the money? Ordered a new Rena XP Filstar XL and it came in and did not work, thinking about going with the Fluval FX5 Canister Filter instead.

#46 ·
Part of why the fx6 dropped it's GPH almost in half is what i think, and a lot of good arguments i've read is such high gph dosnt make a great biological filter, which is really the whole point of a filter besides mechanical. Media basket can be bigger, but with such a high flow, does it matter? Just a thought.

BTW i msg'd hagen yesterday about the 2 dial knobs on the FX6, they said one is for vacuums, the other for water changes if anyone was wondering. They also have no idea when it'll be available in the states.

#47 ·
My money is on energy efficiency. I don't think the difference in water dwell is going to make enough difference between 400 (250 real gph?) and 900 (600 gph?), frankly. As a planted tank owner I really don't worry too much about biological actions in the filter anyway, beyond what would be considered ample.

#50 ·
Thanks everyone for great feed back so far.

So here what started all this for me. Setting up new 90, I only have budget for one filter. I first ordered Rena filstar XP XL, it came in damaged and it was last one they had in stock so I returned it, and did some reason and read a lot of bad things about the motor so I felt since I travel every other week I would be good to stay away from it.

I also need to be able to add UV, CO2 Reactor and inline heater. So I plan to build the manifold that was shared here. Thinking it should work great with the FX5.

Now I have to ask was FX5 best option? I don't know you guys are making me second guess my order :red_mouth. It has not arrived and I could return it when it comes in with no charge. It comes back to my budget for filter is only for one filter and about 200 bucks. I also need something that not going to be loud as this will be right next to my bedroom. So do I keep it or get something else?

My stand going to be finished in a few days and I like to get everything in place soon.

Thanks everyone

#52 ·
Thanks everyone for great feed back so far.

Now I have to ask was FX5 best option? I don't know you guys are making me second guess my order :red_mouth. It has not arrived and I could return it when it comes in with no charge. It comes back to my budget for filter is only for one filter and about 200 bucks. I also need something that not going to be loud as this will be right next to my bedroom. So do I keep it or get something else?

My stand going to be finished in a few days and I like to get everything in place soon.

Thanks everyone
I am not sure what is causing you the double think here. You bought an awesome filter and with the load you're throwing at it with the additional heater and reactor you should have excellent results. I have my tank about 3 feet from my desk in a room where you can hear leaves rustle half an acre away and I will defy you to pick out the sound of the FX5. I would consider building a spray bar however.

#57 ·
That would work, but you would need to use a flexible hose on both sides of the valve. In that case, it would probably make the most sense to build the whole thing out of hose, which is not a bad idea. You could anchor the ball valves to the cabinet to keep everything in place.

Here is another pic of my setup. As you can see, it is a pretty tight fit top to bottom. If you had to go PVC to hose to ball valve to hose it probably wouldn't fit. The whole manifold is 28" high as is.

Regarding control, i think the PVC valves work, although I have left them wide open for the heater and the CO2, and closed for the bypass. This seems to be about right flow for the reactor and the heater is happy too. I just use the valves to turn the flow through the reactor off and open the bypass when I start the filter after a water change. That way it just blasts the bubbles through and doesn't add extra gas to the reactor. Just have to remember to open the CO2 valve and close the bypass after it runs for a couple minutes.

Attachments

#58 ·
That would work, but you would need to use a flexible hose on both sides of the valve. In that case, it would probably make the most sense to build the whole thing out of hose, which is not a bad idea. You could anchor the ball valves to the cabinet to keep everything in place.

Here is another pic of my setup. As you can see, it is a pretty tight fit top to bottom. If you had to go PVC to hose to ball valve to hose it probably wouldn't fit. The whole manifold is 28" high as is.

Regarding control, i think the PVC valves work, although I have left them wide open for the heater and the CO2, and closed for the bypass. This seems to be about right flow for the reactor and the heater is happy too. I just use the valves to turn the flow through the reactor off and open the bypass when I start the filter after a water change. That way it just blasts the bubbles through and doesn't add extra gas to the reactor. Just have to remember to open the CO2 valve and close the bypass after it runs for a couple minutes.

Thanks for the info. I think I am just going to go with the PVC ball valves. Only thing I might change is make them 3/4 since my filter is 3/4 and so is my UV.

#63 ·
So do you guys think I really need to build a spray bar? I don't think ETK has one on his tank, which I think is smaller than my 90.

My 90 is 48x18. I was thinking I would put the return in the middle so it could be adjusted towards each side of the tank?

I don't mind making the spray bar if I have to, but would like to decide before I get it all setup, I kinda want this tank to be a one time thing, setup and forget it besides weekly water change and ferts every day.

#64 ·
So do you guys think I really need to build a spray bar? I don't think ETK has one on his tank, which I think is smaller than my 90.

My 90 is 48x18. I was thinking I would put the return in the middle so it could be adjusted towards each side of the tank?

I don't mind making the spray bar if I have to, but would like to decide before I get it all setup, I kinda want this tank to be a one time thing, setup and forget it besides weekly water change and ferts every day.
I don't have 1 on my 75, I personally like the split design of the outlet that comes with the filter.

#66 ·
I agree with Alipper. the FX5 split return is a nice feature. You can direct flow where you want it.

Another thing to think about: The reason I have the return and the intake in the same part of the tank is based on Amano's approach. The idea is to push water away near the surface of the tank, and then have it return to the filter intake along the bottom, bringing detritus (read: poop) back toward the filter. I think this idea breaks down with larger tanks, and it becomes more important to adjust flow in order to eliminate dead spots. The theory of having the flow along the bottom heading back to the filter is nice, but all you really want to do is make sure that stuff remains suspended long enough to reach the filter, while also distributing CO2 and ferts throughout the tank.

What I really want is a 1" set of lily pipes . . . any glass blowers listening? As far as I know they don't exist.

#69 ·
I agree with Alipper. the FX5 split return is a nice feature. You can direct flow where you want it.

Another thing to think about: The reason I have the return and the intake in the same part of the tank is based on Amano's approach. The idea is to push water away near the surface of the tank, and then have it return to the filter intake along the bottom, bringing detritus (read: poop) back toward the filter. I think this idea breaks down with larger tanks, and it becomes more important to adjust flow in order to eliminate dead spots. The theory of having the flow along the bottom heading back to the filter is nice, but all you really want to do is make sure that stuff remains suspended long enough to reach the filter, while also distributing CO2 and ferts throughout the tank.

What I really want is a 1" set of lily pipes . . . any glass blowers listening? As far as I know they don't exist.
Would be nice, expensive I bet.

#73 ·
Here is what I keep in my FX5: Fluval Biomax, a handful of old bio media from my eheim 2213 (added to start a colony of good bacteria), a coarse filter pad (blue) and a fine polishing pad (all from Fluval). If I was worried about flow, i would remove the pads. The FX5 has coarse pads already in it, and I think they would be sufficient.

One more tip I remembered for building the manifold: when you test fit everything, and you have your design finalized, make check marks at the pvc connections using a pen so that you know how far in and what angle all the pieces need to be at when the glue sets. Then when you start gluing its easier to get everything straight and the right length.

#74 ·
Thanks for the info. I started to cut PVC last night, but as I started to sit down and figure this and that out, I was like, OK that part wrong, should have gotten that or this instead. Since local store 30 min drive, I will have to stop on my way home today with an updated list of stuff. Maybe this time I will get correct parts and not foget anything, but I find that doubtful. Still not sure on placement yet. My stand which I thought was large 35 inches high and 4 feet long is filling up quick, so I am unsure on placement yet, either on side or on the back.

#76 ·
Well after several weeks, I got my manifold built. Just waiting on 2 things, MPT Reducing Adapter 1/2" x 5/8" MPT x barb. I have brass ones, but I am bit uneasy to use them as they have always leaked for me in the past. Also waiting for 1" black vinyl tubing.

I am to cheap when it comes to shipping, ha.

I am still torn on the spray bar or use the return split that comes with the FX5. I have built the spray bar already, just not sure if I am going to use it or not yet.

I will be happy to get tank up and running and start fishless cycle I hope within a week. Seems like it has taken forever to get to this point.

#77 ·
Anyone know if I can use EHEIM Substrat Pro Biological Filter Media, in the FX5? I have 2 bags of this stuff, when I say bags I mean big bags full like 5 gallon freezer bag. What area should I add it? Or should I just get the proper media for the filter?

#79 ·
As long as its big enough not to fall through the holes in the trays then go fot it.
You can use anything you want in the fx5, as long as it doesn't clog it or fall through the baskets. I have LECA(expanded clay balls) in the foot of a pair of pantyhose in one of my trays, and lava rock from the outdoor section of Lowes in another tray, biomax in the third. Heck, I even replaced the filter sponges in the sides of the baskets with filter floss(polyester quilt stuffing).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#80 ·
I run my FX5 with filter floss on the outside of all three rings, top ring has a coarse filter pad and pre filter media under it, 2nd ring I have it packed full of biomax, 3rd ring has 200ml of purigen and a clearmax pouch and a fine filter pad.

#81 ·
So far manifold not working out very well for my setup. I don't seem to have any flow in my tank.

Not sure what to do. After working on it all weekend, I am thinking about just buying an in-tank heater, and run the CO2 Reactor inline with the canister since the fittings on my reactor are one inch.

The only down side is I would not be able to run my reactor. I guess I could always get a Y for the UV. Not sure at this point. Mine was based off ETK manifold, not sure what the problem is.

#87 ·
Inside tank i have 2 5/8 inputs on either side which go to a 1 inch T. Then to the filter input.

Output to manifold which is 1 inch and all the equipment reduce to 5/8 output of the manifold is one 5/8 lilly
OK thanks for the info. Mine never seems to run out of water, just seems like it not pushing enough water back into the tank. I am not sure. Is your manifold the same as the others have posted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.