Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share. - Page 10 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 329 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Collierville,TN
Posts: 19
Thanks

Great, concise, and informative...

Thank You,

_________________________
Brent Dacus
Collierville,TN
bdacus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #137 of 329 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Planted Member
 
MiniFishRoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MSP
Posts: 247
Thanks for the Awesome Information!

"Semper Fi"
MiniFishRoom is offline  
post #138 of 329 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Mmmm Mossss!!!
 
Frogman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SW Chicago
Posts: 38
Thanks Darkblade,Just the right info I'm gonna need for my project during Xmas vacation!
Frogman is offline  
post #139 of 329 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower
 
mltreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 21
perfect info! i am troubleshooting my current regulator and this thread helped a ton--really simplifies pressurized co2.
mltreat is offline  
post #140 of 329 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,144
Glad to be of help

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #141 of 329 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 11
I am definitely bookmarking this one. Thank you for the write up. I know understand the difference in cost between the milwaukee and gla systems.
Tpark is offline  
post #142 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,144
Updated a thread to include a photo and clearer instructions.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #143 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Algae Grower
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LOS ANGELES
Posts: 8
Thanks Anthony. Exactly what my newbie brain needed.
hiyabrad is offline  
post #144 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sandia Park, NM
Posts: 2
Solenoid Wiring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Here now, are the optional parts of a pressurized CO2 setup. While the aforementioned CO2 tank, regulator and needle valve are absolutely essential, the following pieces of equipment, while totally optional, are highly recommended.

These are:

4) Solenoid
5) Bubble Counter
6) Diffuser
7) Drop Checker
8) Miscellaneous equipment (check valve, airline tubing)
9) "Luxury" items (pH controller)

Let us begin with 4) Solenoid

A solenoid is an electronically controlled valve that opens/closes depending on whether electricity is flowing through it or not. For pressurized CO2 purposes, we normally use a "normally closed" solenoid. This means that when there is no electricity, the solenoid is closed, and no CO2 flows. When there is electricity, the solenoid is open, and CO2 flows.

A solenoid provides the option of putting your CO2 onto a timer and/or a pH controller, so that your CO2 will turn on/off automatically. This is beneficial, as it can prolong the amount of time your CO2 will last (i.e. rather than having it on for 24 hours, you can turn it off at night, when plants are no longer photosynthesizing).

Here are some good solenoid brands that I can recommend (in no particular order):
Burkert (Model #: 6011)*
Clippard (Model #: MME-2PDS-D110)*
Fabco (Model #: 3853-04-A287)*
Parker

Of these 3, the Clippard is the only one (as far as I know) that has the handy feature of having a red LED that indicates when the solenoid is open, and CO2 is flowing. However, many users have reported that the solenoid does get quite warm (sometimes to the point where you cannot leave your hand on it comfortably). The other three brands do not seem to have this overheating issue, but also do not possess the same LED.

Most solenoids run ~$20-30, but you can easily find a cheaper solenoid on eBay (see below and/or PM me for the actual link...)

*Note: These model numbers are for solenoids with a 1/8" female NPT ports on either side. If you wish to have different port sizes, I can forward you the PDF with the appropriate information.
Thank you so much for this write up. I'm looking forward to doing a DIY CO2 setup. I had a question about the wiring of the clippard solenoid. It doesn't come wired, as far as I can tell, when ordered directly from clippard. How does one wire it so that it can be plugged in?
davitt77 is offline  
post #145 of 329 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by davitt77 View Post
Thank you so much for this write up. I'm looking forward to doing a DIY CO2 setup. I had a question about the wiring of the clippard solenoid. It doesn't come wired, as far as I can tell, when ordered directly from clippard. How does one wire it so that it can be plugged in?
There are many instruction guides that can be found online, but essentially, you just need to take an appropriate electrical cord, and solder and/or use quick disconnects to the spade terminals on the solenoid.

If you have no electrical background, I would highly recommend you get someone more knowledgeable to do this for you.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #146 of 329 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Rush3737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 489
Hopefully somebody here can help me. I'm building a CO2 setup and the regulator I bought has the output at a weird angle, much like the Victor in the OP. I realize the bubble counter in that example is not perfectly plumb, but here is my quandary. I have a 45d angle piece on order, but it may not come any time soon. If I use a 90d piece out of the regulator and later off of the needle valve, will the angle be too steep for the bubble counter?

This is my setup so far, sorry for the bad picture but I had used it in my journal thread and never intended it for this.


75g Journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=224354
29g Journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=577481
TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
Rush3737 is offline  
post #147 of 329 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
Hopefully somebody here can help me. I'm building a CO2 setup and the regulator I bought has the output at a weird angle, much like the Victor in the OP. I realize the bubble counter in that example is not perfectly plumb, but here is my quandary.
I managed to fix the slight crookedness in that photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush3737 View Post
I have a 45d angle piece on order, but it may not come any time soon. If I use a 90d piece out of the regulator and later off of the needle valve, will the angle be too steep for the bubble counter?
You can use multiple angled parts to achieve a perpendicular (to the floor) bubble counter. Remember we are working in three dimensions.

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #148 of 329 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Rush3737's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 489
Err... duh, I'm a dumbass, carry on!

And thanks!

75g Journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=224354
29g Journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=577481
TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
Rush3737 is offline  
post #149 of 329 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston ma
Posts: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Here now, are the optional parts of a pressurized CO2 setup. While the aforementioned CO2 tank, regulator and needle valve are absolutely essential, the following pieces of equipment, while totally optional, are highly recommended.

These are:

4) Solenoid
5) Bubble Counter
6) Diffuser
7) Drop Checker
8) Miscellaneous equipment (check valve, airline tubing)
9) "Luxury" items (pH controller)

Let us begin with 4) Solenoid

A solenoid is an electronically controlled valve that opens/closes depending on whether electricity is flowing through it or not. For pressurized CO2 purposes, we normally use a "normally closed" solenoid. This means that when there is no electricity, the solenoid is closed, and no CO2 flows. When there is electricity, the solenoid is open, and CO2 flows.

A solenoid provides the option of putting your CO2 onto a timer and/or a pH controller, so that your CO2 will turn on/off automatically. This is beneficial, as it can prolong the amount of time your CO2 will last (i.e. rather than having it on for 24 hours, you can turn it off at night, when plants are no longer photosynthesizing).

Here are some good solenoid brands that I can recommend (in no particular order):
Burkert (Model #: 6011)*
Clippard (Model #: MME-2PDS-D110)*
Fabco (Model #: 3853-04-A287)*
Parker

Of these 3, the Clippard is the only one (as far as I know) that has the handy feature of having a red LED that indicates when the solenoid is open, and CO2 is flowing. However, many users have reported that the solenoid does get quite warm (sometimes to the point where you cannot leave your hand on it comfortably). The other three brands do not seem to have this overheating issue, but also do not possess the same LED.

Most solenoids run ~$20-30, but you can easily find a cheaper solenoid on eBay (see below and/or PM me for the actual link...)

*Note: These model numbers are for solenoids with a 1/8" female NPT ports on either side. If you wish to have different port sizes, I can forward you the PDF with the appropriate information.
Hey DB, I just wanted to know if u still have the link to the solienoids or will I be ok getting a $20 one from China through eBay?
newbieplanter is offline  
post #150 of 329 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto/Singapore
Posts: 10,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieplanter View Post
Hey DB, I just wanted to know if u still have the link to the solienoids or will I be ok getting a $20 one from China through eBay?
There is nothing wrong with ordering solenoids from China, as long as you know what you are getting (ensure it is made for continuous duty cycle, low power consumption, not 220V, etc)

What link do you want?

Anthony

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome