The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY CO2 diffuser. is this too much??

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  saiko 
#1 ·
My DIY Co2 diffuser on a newly setup 10 gal growout tank. I'm not too worried about the look as it is in my room. 1 bubble every 15-20 sec on a semi open loop giving me a constant very fine bubbles. my concern is, could this be too much?? and on occasion a fish would swim right under the powerhead intake getting exposed to hundreds of very fine co2 bubbles. What do you guys think? do I need to re-engineer things? thx for any input..

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I would say your "dome" is too small to be giving you much diffusion into the water. This is also evidenced by the amount of bubbles of co2 that are visible. At the fairly low rate you are injecting, you shouldn't see any actual bubbles outside the bottle. Keep the cap but cut a new bottle to fit on it. You'll more than likely need about half the length of the bottle. The idea is to keep the bubbles in the bottle until they completely disappear into the water. Once they escape the bottle to rise to the surface they are basically wasted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.