The Planted Tank Forum banner

DIY adding H2O to tank from 2nd floor with PVC pipes

5K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  DarkCobra 
#1 · (Edited)
So anyway, this is kinda silly but we've always had a hard time adding water to the tank during a water change. None of the faucets are higher than the tank so we have to fill a lower tank and then pump the water up. (We are not allowed to attach any fittings on the first floor faucets to allow hoses to be attached to them.)

We finally decided to fill the tank from the second floor. We could have just bought a longer hose but we already have a 25' hose and didn't want to buy a 50' one (expensive) and we didn't want to bring a dirty outside hose indoor. So we went to Home Depot and bought two 10' PVC pipes and a few angles for less than $10.

We set it up thus, the pipes supported by 2 tripods and a couple of boxes and up the stairs:

We then ran the 25ft hose from an upstairs faucet to the PVC pipe on the stairs. (A 50ft hose would also have sagged and needed support at more than 3 points.) It worked like a charm. It's the quickest we've ever added water and after we were finished, we just took the pipes apart and put them in a spare bathroom. No more messing with pumps or buckets! I guess a real dedicated person can install PVC pipes inside the walls, but we're not that dedicated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Why do you feel it is necessary to have the water faucet higher than the tank? You can fill the tank easily from 10 feet below the tank, because the tap water is under about 40 psi pressure. The problem with your PVC solution is that anyone who bumps the pipes may cause a joint to open up, spilling a lot of water on the floor.

Where you might have a problem is with siphoning the old water out of the tank. To do that the end of the siphon hose has to be lower than the aquarium, but you can just run the hose out a window or door and dump the old water on the plants outdoors.

#4 ·
We only have 2 faucets on the first floor. The one in the kitchen is banned from my use. The other one needs a fitting on the faucet to attach a hose to it and because it is a rather ornate faucet, we are also banned from doing that. Thus, the only way to fill the tank is with gravity.

(Lol, I guess I should have said that at beginning so I don't get called stupid!)

#5 ·
We only have 2 faucets on the first floor. The one in the kitchen is banned from my use. The other one needs a fitting on the faucet to attach a hose to it and because it is a rather ornate faucet, we are also banned from doing that. Thus, the only way to fill the tank is with gravity.
I am curious as to the reason behind the ban; is it a husband/wife/partner issue, or a landlord issue?

#9 ·
That is a real ghetto setup you got there. Not having the pipes glued together is a disaster waiting to happen. If those pipes come apart you are going to have one hell of a flood. Get yourself a hose and tell your wife to do the dishes. I really can't believe what some people go through.

#10 ·
I agree that it's far from an ideal solution, but hey, do whatever works for you, man. I would rather use a long hose securely threaded to the sink, but as long as you're slow and careful, this will work, too.

As for all the "marriage counseling" you're getting in this thread, pay it no mind.

#13 ·
Craig's List is your friend: "Will trade wife who won't let me modify faucets for one who will do anything to have a beautiful planted tank in the living room".:icon_cool

Seriously, I suspect all of us who are married have to work around whatever disagreements we have with our spouses about our hobby. I certainly do. Fortunately there are multiple ways to do most of what we need to do.

Can't you use a hose adapter on an upstairs faucet, and run a hose instead of the pipes? I hate laying out and rolling up a garden hose for water changes, and usually spill some water when I do, but I would never trust un-glued PVC pipes to stay together when doing a water change. It certainly can work, but Murphy's Law says it will come apart just when you will suffer the most harm.

#14 ·
There is a hidden benifit to your system that I think you are overlooking. If you were to stragecially place the dirty dishes on the stairs, they would get a proper cleaning from the waterfall caused by the inevitable seperation of the pvc pipes. Seriously, I would invest in a couple of 5 gal buckets and a maid.

#19 ·
Maybe you can negotiate a deal wherein you clean whatever dishes are currently in the sink, and in exchange you get to use the kitchen faucet for one tank filling?

I agree with the bit about friction-fit PVC being a disaster waiting to happen. Maybe get some vinyl or rubber tubing, it should cost a bit less then a garden hose.

Also, in the past I've seen universal faucet adaptors that are sorta like a rubber funnel that just smushes over the entire faucet. Maybe you can find something like that, and you wouldn't have to bother with trying to remove the aerator and attaching another adapter and such.

Or just use buckets?

#21 ·
Not a product, it's just handful of pieces I put together one afternoon while I strolled through Home Depot.

If your tank water level is higher than the 'Y' splitter then this would probably work well for draining as well.
One small problem I have is with the hose I purchased. The big bulky plastic end hits the valve before I get it fully tight and as a result it leaks a little into the sink. Not a big deal really, but something to consider when you buy bits.

#27 ·
why not wash the dishes for her and she will appreciate your helping around the house to overlook you using the faucet for the water change?

the pvc will eventually give at the joints and make a worse mess than just having to wash a sink full of dirty plates and silver.

#32 ·
Honestly bud i feel for ya! i used to do the exact same thing when i lived in my parents basemet and had to fill a 125 gallon tank lol! the only difference between your setup is i glued a few key pieces together, used a lot of electrical tape, and used as much of smaller hose that i could, rest was strung up pvc lol! i say good ingenuity and creativity!

#35 ·
Please post an update when this inevitably causes a huge mess. I'll be curious to know what your wife then decides.

Will the wife finally start doing dishes and allow access to the kitchen sink? Or will she force him to use buckets forever? All will be revealed on the next exciting episode of "Ridiculous Compromises"!

Sorry to tease, and I feel bad for your spousal situation, but this truly is ridiculous.

#36 ·
Working great so far. By far the quickest way water has ever been added. No fuss, no muss. No need to move anything out the way. Best thing is that once the water starts flowing, there is no need to do anything. There is just a quick set up, adjust water temp (which you can't do with the outside hose), then wait for tank to fill up, then disassemble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.