225 Gallon Office Setup - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Jaw dropped.

Wow.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDNY911 View Post
This is Amazing man. How long was the actual build time for this once you had all the supplies need to start? It's really beautiful man.

Thanks.

Build was spread out over a few months. While I was waiting the four weeks for the tank to be built, I built a mockup to get a head start on the hardscaping to test different wood layouts.

Initial design idea.

The four weeks also gave me time to test different plants together in small test tanks and pre growout a few plants that I wanted to use in bulk. Crypts, Staurogyne, mosses, etc. All of the Anubius came out of my 150g that was getting overgrown.

Once the tank was delivered plumbing, electrical, and basic setup for testing took two days. I pre setup the tank for three weeks prior to delivery and final setup to get rid of the tannins, adjust the Anubius, grow out the moss, and test a few Tilly's against circulation. This time allowed the opportunity to dial in the circulation/ventillation system and work out any kinks prior to final setup.

Pre grow out time. Tank was drained of water, sealed, and delivered in this state.

Otherwise the tank was delivered and setup on a Saturday. And the top photo's are from the first day of setup.

I stopped by over the weekend to get a water test, and ... gonna have to wait at least another week for fish. Growth looks great and everything is staying healthy.

Last edited by JDowns; 03-18-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: update photo links
post #33 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. It really is a beautiful setup. You really seem to have a passion and a sick set of skills. Good Luck with everything.
post #34 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Planted Member

Great tank!
I took the liberty on putting a link on Dendroboard; I see you have an account there as well.
Now if you would have put a composterium in the space below the land, you could house several PDFs in there and get away with feeding only every 2 weeks.
(Me suggesting this only proves that there is no design that's so beautiful that I couldn't find a way to make it more complex.)
post #35 of 121 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
ket
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank, very clean setup. I think everyone could agree to having something like this in their office
post #36 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Month later things have started to fill in nicely. Broms are sprouting pups everywhere and I have a few different species on the way to fill a few holes and add variety. Three weeks of a good deal N via the misters from the cycling has really greened things up. Custom led spots get delivered end of the month which will allow me to specify which broms get additional light for coloration. I'll be able to dim from between 200 and 1400 lumens with a tight spot and focalize specific light per plant.

Fish have gone in. Settled on 21 Embers, 6 Bumble Bee Goby's, Charlie the Dwarf Puffer, an Oto, and 50 or so Cherry shrimp.

Lost one of the Tilly's due to being to close to one of the misters, all the rest seem to be doing well towards the back.

Aquatic foreground is filling in nicely and in another month or so should be a nice little hedge. The Embers enjoy hanging out there swimming in and out of the current.

Random shot of a pup coming in.

I took about 50 photos today, I'll try to get a few more uploaded. Got a few interesting shots as the fog rolls in, and a few aquatic specific shots.

Animated shot showing growth phase over the first month.

post #37 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

This is by far one of the most amazing setups I've ever seen.

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #38 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:06 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

so sick! great work
post #39 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Awsome setup up. One of the nicest I have seen. Nothing more to say but WOW.
post #40 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That looks awesome now that the plants are beginning to grow in. I love it!
post #41 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Algae Grower

What are the lights you have on the tank? Have you cosidered any orchids?

Winston
post #42 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgama View Post
What are the lights you have on the tank? Have you cosidered any orchids?
Lights are from FishNeedIt (3 2x54w) and have been Frankensteined. I've adjusted the reflectors angle, removed the splash guards, and are powering them with Icecap ballasts. With Aquaflora's and Middays and making a few adjustments doubled the Par output and gave me the light levels I wanted at the substrate level. One bank is on from 8am - 8pm. The front two banks are on from 11am - 5pm. The Hydrocotle gets a par of 30-60 umols 50" from the lights with all three banks running which IMO is pushing it for non CO2, and may add a layer of screening to shade the front area to slow down growth a bit. There are two fans that actively cool the fixtures and prevent heat build up. If I had to do it over I would have just done a DIY Icecap setup, but at least I got some more Par data.
post #43 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzen View Post
Great tank!
I took the liberty on putting a link on Dendroboard; I see you have an account there as well.
Now if you would have put a composterium in the space below the land, you could house several PDFs in there and get away with feeding only every 2 weeks.
(Me suggesting this only proves that there is no design that's so beautiful that I couldn't find a way to make it more complex.)
DB is where I found Mike at NE Herp. Great resource for plants I can't recommend him enough.

I considered ants briefly before the realization of building management hit me square in the face. The tank is currently seeded with a few different kinds of Isopods, tiny ground spiders, beetles, and soon springtails. I think part of the key to ease and longevity is going to be not overstocking and allow the micro fauna to establish good breeding colonies first. There's about two square feet of leaf litter and plenty of nooks and crannies in the wood, so plenty of hiding spots for critters. It will be an experiment that will need some close monitoring.

PDF's are under consideration and I'll be discussing this with Mike and Brian here in the near future.
post #44 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

how freaking amazing is this tank right here?!?!
post #45 of 121 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Planted Member

this is the most amazing set up i have ever seen in my life...AWESOME WORK!

Hey,any of you happen to be/or know someone that are Crystal red/black shrimp breeders and stay in Petaling Jaya,Selangor,Malaysia?
if so,im looking for some decent shrimp and im hoping to get some...if so,pls pm me..thx ^^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode