Lego's Cacti/Succulent collection + Orchids! - E. subdenudata bloom!!! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Hey thanks guys! I should take some new pics. My collections grow quite a bit since the last pics and I've got a few new flowers from some of these too. I'll try to do that sometime tomorrow.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O
Lego's Comprehensive Grow List - From Acorus to Zephyranthes
New 40 Breeder Scape --- Low Tech 20H
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice. Sorry to hear that you had to take apart the terrarium, but everything looks great the way you have it potted up. You have a nice collection. Clearly you do much better with succulents than I do. I have a lot of trouble guessing their moisture needs and end up with troubles underwatering and overwatering.
post #33 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Thanks Devin. I really underestimated the lighting needs of these plants, I guess. You'd think that 2 150W bulbs would be plenty, but apparently not.

I may be able to help with your watering problems. With most (not all) succulents, a good watering schedule is to water thoroughly (until water runs out of the bottom of the pot) and then not again until the soil is dry all the way through. Most (again, not all) succs are summer growers and dormant in winter, so more water in summer and less in winter is best and can help promote flowering.

The soil mixture I'm using for most (yet again, not all ) is 1 part potting soil, 2 parts coarse perlite, and 1 part vermiculite. Lots and lots of drainage. In the summer, succs like to be very wet for a few days as long as the soil dries out completely before they get wet again.

It's far better to underwater then overwater. HTH

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #34 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Here's my collection as it stands now.

In full sun

Acclimating to full sun

Mesemb grow-out station

Mammilaria elegans - flowering like crazy. I'm hoping for a full ring of flowers on this one soon.

There's a lot more buds on the way too.

I still have a couple more in a window sill that I don't have pictures of at the moment

post #35 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow! this collection has grown so much! i really like the unique-ness of this project, i've never seen someone doing that before. The "living rock" plant is really cool, too, i've seen some at a Lowe's near me, but i bought a Neanthe Palm instead (which i just realized i left at my cottage for the winter without any light, water, or heat... NO!). i'll definitely have to look into getting more cacti and succulents after seeing all of these ones. thanks a lot for sharing this with everyone!

Wilson
10g Globe l'Attente - As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!
46g High-Tech, last updated 1/14
post #36 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Thanks demosthenes! One of my Living Rock plants actually flowered for me earlier in the year. It's amazing how the plant can be so ugly, but the flower can be so beautiful

post #37 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is a really cool thread! I just checked out all your tanks in your sig link. Very enjoyable!

BTW, I went to the Indiana state fair again last week. You people really like fried foods! I started out with a combo meal of a fried Milky Way, two fried oreos, and a fried Reese's Cup. Then I moved onto the chocolate covered bacon. It was kinda gross.

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #38 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Lol you tried the chocolate covered bacon? I saw it when I was down there a couple weeks ago but I wasn't brave enough to try it. Did you see the deep-fried Pepsi in the booth right next to it?

When I was there, there were serving bbq'd beaver and deer tongue too. Only at the state fair

post #39 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
Lol you tried the chocolate covered bacon? I saw it when I was down there a couple weeks ago but I wasn't brave enough to try it. Did you see the deep-fried Pepsi in the booth right next to it?

When I was there, there were serving bbq'd beaver and deer tongue too. Only at the state fair
Yeah, the bacon was way undercooked. It was gross. I tried the fried Pepsi too. Not impressed. Milky Way and Oreos rule though.

WHAT?? Beaver and deer tongue???? I totally missed it! I would have gone for that! Indiana is the best state fair around. I love it! (Blows NC state fair away)

Okay sorry for the distractions..... back on topic.... which was.... oh yeah your plants and tanks are awesome.

post #40 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Undercooked bacon is nasty anyway. It's gotta be even worse when it's covered in chocolate . The big DNR building was giving out samples of the beaver and deer when I was there. The beaver was pretty good actually, but I didn't even come close to trying the deer tongue.

Anyway, thanks Freddie! Back on topic

post #41 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
Undercooked bacon is nasty anyway. It's gotta be even worse when it's covered in chocolate . The big DNR building was giving out samples of the beaver and deer when I was there. The beaver was pretty good actually, but I didn't even come close to trying the deer tongue.

Anyway, thanks Freddie! Back on topic
Okay sort of on topic, but not really:
How about those paddlefish and sturgeon at the pond beside the DNR building? That was awesome. Those paddlefish are so neat. I didn't make it inside DNR this year though.

post #42 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Yeah, they got those every year. Paddlefish are actually found in the Wabash River around here. They're pretty rare, but they're in there somewhere. I was kinda disappointed with the inside of the building this year. They have all native fish, but they looked pretty ragged this year. Underfed, shredded fins, just nasty looking.

Did you get to see the huge sculpture made from cheese? Some people have way too much free time

post #43 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Hey! I've got a couple of Cereus tetragonus "Fairy Castle"! I had one for like 4 years now (for a few weeks it was living in a closet without light because I forgot that I put it there ) and the other is a cutting I made off of it this spring.
That's an awesome collection you've got!

post #44 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

I've got one of those Cereus too. Mine's still a little guy, though. I've only had it for a couple of months

post #45 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Love your collection!!! I miss your nice terrarium . There must be some way to get enough light on it. It was so pretty all arranged. You'll have to do something in the winter.... Maybe by then you'll have it all figured out! I just love succulents. I've wished to be farther South so that I could have a collection like yours outside. The best I can do are those that are freeze tolerant since I'm in Northern TX. I have some around my pool bed.

Just keeping on keeping on....

95g Rimless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode