Lego's Cacti/Succulent collection + Orchids! - E. subdenudata bloom!!! - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
check this out.

http://www.antstore.net/shop/index.p...c-Species.html

i see they only have a couple of species available. i'm sure there are tight restrictions against importing live ants to the US.

as with most tropical fauan/flora hobbies, the Europeans are light years ahead of us.
Man, the WWW has everything .

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonbull57 View Post
the only suggestion I have to make is that because its suposed to be a desert I would add some Cacti, just the small cheap ones from Kmart or Walmart work very well and are undemanding. Stocking with Ants would be cool just make sure you have a tight lid, or maybe you could find some neet beetles or centipedes. Just suggestions
I have a few cacti sitting around, but I like succulents better for some reason. Very few sharp pointy pokey things on them .

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O
Lego's Comprehensive Grow List - From Acorus to Zephyranthes
New 40 Breeder Scape --- Low Tech 20H
Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

The terrarium will be getting a lighting upgrade very soon. I found a couple 150W Incandescent Plant Grow lights for a pretty good price. They are basically the same as a heat lamp designed for reptiles, but without as much heat. And cheaper.

Oh and that new growth on the Titanopsis isn't real growth at all. It's a flower! It's not fully open yet so I'll post pics when it opens fully. Woot! My first desert flower

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #18 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

So I'm sitting here listening to the Leave A Whisper album by Shinedown (incredible cd, by the way), and it hit me...I'm bored!!! So when I get bored, I take pictures. In this case, pictures of each species in the terrarium. Prepare for a long, picture-intense post

Aloe zenzibarica

Aeonium zwartkop x tabulaeforme

Crassula lycopodiodes

Euphorbia tirucallii

Ornithogalum caudatum

Echeveria shaviana

Haworthia comptoniana

Echeveria "Carlsbad"

Echeveria "Black Prince"

Kalanchoe panamensis

Crassula argentea cv. "Gollum". My preciousssssss.....

Kalanchoe tomentosa cv. "Chocolate Soldier"

Graptosedum "California Sunset"

Pleiospilos nelii

Adromischus cristatus

Graptoveria "Bella"

Titanopsis calcareum. See the flower stalk on the right?

Sedum spp.

Senecio sp. "Mini Blue"

Graptoveria "Spirit of '76"

Made the mistake of tossing the pot this came in. Can't remember for the life of me.

Ignore the waterspots on some of the plants. I haven't taken the time to clean them up .

That's all for now. Give your scroll wheel a break for a while

post #19 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Came home today to see the flower stalk on the Titanopsis calcereum had finally burst open. Pretty little thing

Got the new lights too. 150W Agrosun Dayspot Grow lights. The positioning of the lights is only temporary until I can rig something up to hang them above the tank.

post #20 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

where did you get the Pleiospilos nelii. i have been looking to buy a "living rock" species for a while, but can never find any anywhere. do you know a website that carries them maybe?
post #21 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
where did you get the Pleiospilos nelii. i have been looking to buy a "living rock" species for a while, but can never find any anywhere. do you know a website that carries them maybe?
I got mine at Lowe's. I have two that are pretty close to me and I usually check them both about once a week. It seems that the P. nelii always goes fast. I got lucky in finding mine, but haven't found any since

post #22 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
if only you had a navlet's garden center near you, mine has like 100's of those lol, but apparently they are only callifornia stores.
post #23 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

The terrarium got rescaped today! I brought home a few new plants and decided I was really tired of the symmetrical triangles I had formed the last time around.

First of all, here's the new ones

Mammillaria plumosa "Feather Cactus"

Crassula capitella "Campfire Plant"

Cereus tetragonus "Fairy Castle"

Cereus monstrose

Anacampseros rufescens

Sempervivum arachnoideum cv. "Cebenese"

And the new scape

And I am not gonna show you how I rigged up the lights. Let's just say it's probably illegal in some states. I'll let you use your imagination

post #24 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

nice! stuff is blooming like mad in there. i don't even want to think about how you might have wired those lights.
post #25 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
nice! stuff is blooming like mad in there. i don't even want to think about how you might have wired those lights.
Thanks! Actually, I can't take credit for the two cactus flowers, they were already blooming when I got them. The flowers already opened up a bit under the lights

I actually didn't do anything with the wiring of the lights, it's just how I suspended them over the tank. It's temporary, but if my firefighter friends found out, let's just say they probably wouldn't be too happy

post #26 of 108 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Compare this:

to this:

Those Mammillaria flowers opened up nicely under these lights

post #27 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

My Sempervivum arachnoideum cv. "Cebenese" finally flowered today. This is the first bud out of 12 to open, so I'll get a picture once they all are blooming.

My Anacampseros rufescens is also on the verge of blooming. One of my 150W lights burned out, so I was using a 60W instead until I got a replacement bulb. Now that I have the better lighting again, it should open pretty soon.

post #28 of 108 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Aroid Addict

Well, apparently even 2 150W bulbs on for 14 hours a day still doesn't produce enough light for these light-hungry plants. Bottom leaves were dying off, new growth was leggy and colorful plants were coming in green. So I reluctantly had to take the terrarium down. I potted everything and moved them outside to a west facing patio. The cacti and succulents now get about 12 hours of direct sunlight.

My collection so far (and my munchkin dog)

And that Mammillaria plumosa is going to flower again. It's got about 6 buds coming out of the side of the main plant.

I may continue to post updates of my collection here, but it seems a bit out of place to do in an aquarium forum. If there's enough interest, and the mods give it a green light, then I'll continue. Otherwise, consider this the end of my desert terrarium thread.

post #29 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

again another thread revive lol

i origianlly wanted to do a desert one and this is pretty cool the only thing is carniverous plants caught my attention lol
post #30 of 108 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

What an awesome collection!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode