The Planted Tank Forum banner

Paludarium Plant List

12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  NightSky 
#1 · (Edited)
I'd like to create a plant list for paludariums seeing as how it's turning out to be a big ordeal for me. If anyone has any recommendations, please list them here. If you can provide any other info on the plant (lighting requirements, humidity level, temp, soil, size, flowering, soil moisture etc.), that would be appreciated. :)

Emersed Aquatics:
Rotala Indica
Limphophia sessiliflora(Asian Ambulia)
Echinodorus Tenellus or Pygme Chain Sword
Amazon Sword
Pennywort
Stargrass
Didiplis Diandra
Lysimachia Nummularia Aura
Ludwiga Repens
Hemainthus Micranthemoides
Glossostigma Elatinoides
Hemanthius Callitrichoides
Dwarf Hairgrass
brazilian swords
marbled queen sword
anubias
crypts
riccia
java ferns
any moss
any hairgrass
UG
pelia - and other liveworts

Terrestrial Plants:
Pothos
Ficus pumilia
Ficus quercifolia
vining aroids
most ferns
Selaginella species

Links:
APC plant finder - check the emersed section to get a big variety of aquatic emersed plants but YMMV on how well they will do. Rule of thumb is the hardier/easier the plant, the more likely it will grow emersed successfully.

Aquatic Scapes - Plant database (including emersed aquatics) with pics/descriptions.

Thanks to the following contributors:
TheRyeGuy, Homer_Simpson, legomaniac89, customdrumfinishes, dravenxavier, sNApple

See less See more
#3 ·
Pothos, Ficus pumilia, and Ficus quercifolia will all grow with their roots in the water, as long as they're allowed to scramble elsewhere. I'm pretty sure most vining aroids can be used like this. If the roots are not completely submerged, there are a ton of ferns and Selaginella species that would work, as well.

#4 ·
anubias
crypts
glosso
riccia
java ferns
any moss
any hairgrass
HC
UG

there are tons of "aquarium" plants that can grow out of water. For getting submeresed plants to grow emeresed, keep the leaves very wet, and keep the tank very humid. ei, cover with glass lid

check here for some pics

http://www.aquaticscapes.com/easyplants.html

#5 ·
Thanks for your contributions guys. I added em' to the list. dravenxavier, I just wanted to confirm, your list of plants are terrestrial ones, right?

anubias
crypts
glosso
riccia
java ferns
any moss
any hairgrass
HC
UG

there are tons of "aquarium" plants that can grow out of water. For getting submeresed plants to grow emeresed, keep the leaves very wet, and keep the tank very humid. ei, cover with glass lid

check here for some pics

http://www.aquaticscapes.com/easyplants.html
Could you tell me what UG stands for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.