Natural vines? - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Natural vines?

Does anyone know of any live vines that could be planted into a terrarium or any suppliers of dried out vines..etc that I could use?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Are these real?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru
What size tank? What critter do you plan to have climbing it? Or is it just visual ethstetics?
Pothos is an easy to obtain vine that tolerates very wet conditions, but it gets HUGE. Would not reccomend in anything under 30g unless you want to trim often.
Also try googling or YouTube searching "diy vivarium vines" I've seen a few threads on other viv specific forums.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Wild grape is a common plant across the United States. I've never used the vines in a terrarium, but I bet they would work and look great. Just collect them legally. (I highly doubt they are protected because they are not endangered, but I mean legally in the sense that some states do not allow collection of anything from official state parks, nature sanctuaries, etc.)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru
creeping ficus might work, but I don't know if it would give you the look you want. A lot of times it's just a loose bush, but eventually it will start growing viny creepers that cling to walls.

It can get ridiculously big, but it has fairly small leaves, so might be a better bet for a terrarium.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Are you wanting thick vines for hardscaping, or leafy green plants climbing up your walls and hardscape?

If the latter, Marcgravia rectiflora is one of the easiest to find and to keep, and is an attractive shingling species.

Has a LiCor and knows how to use it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Algae Grower
Here is a site that might help. I've never ordered from them, I just found it while conducting a similar search to yours, for a future project.

Dam! Why didn't I just stop the first time I said "Eah, it's good enough"!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode