brackish paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
brackish paludarium

I've been toying wth the Idea of a Brackish Paludarium. I was thinking somthing around 10-20 gallons. Probably about 40% land and 60% water. I would really love to do somthing like this but I want to get everything strightend out first. I thinking about Bumblebee Gobies and Fiddler Crabs. I wanted to check out my other options, or are there any?
Skippers would be to large right? So am I stuck with Crabs as the land animal or are there any brackish amphibians?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Planted Member
No, no brackish amphibians. There are some brackish reptiles, such as diamondback terrapins and salt marsh snakes, but they wouldn't be very appropriate/fish safe either. Crabs sound like your best bet, and you can probably do some small hermit crabs as well, if you have enough land area. That's a guess, though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru
There are a few skippers species that stay fairly small, but I am not too sure how available they are. You could put a couple in a 29 or 20L.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Planted Member
Technically, I believe there have been studies done showing some anurans will use both brackish and freshwater systems for habitat and breeding. But for the sake of this project, no, you probably won't find any of those specimens in the pet trade.

0.4.3 D. leucomelas
0.1.0 D. imitator
0.0.3 D. tinctorius 'Alanis'
1.1.0 D. tinctorius 'Surinam Cobalt'
1.1.0 D. pumilio 'El Dorado'
1.1.0 D. pumilio 'Golddust Bastimentos'
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Planted Member
You're right, I stand corrected. Though I'm not sure I'd trust trying to do it in a 10-20 gallon tank. Maybe a 20L, minimum, as it seems a lot of the species I'm turning up are active (and many are larger..) Ranids, and I'd feel bad. And the gobies would probably be food :P
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Hey I have another question about this setup, would the fiddlers bother, attack, or kill the gobies? I've heard diffrent responses and was woundering if anyone could help out???
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Planted Member
Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx
From what I've learned keeping a reef, crabs of any type will attack and eat anything they can catch, unless they are specifically preferential to algae. Given the size of most gobies, I'd have to assume they'd get eaten pretty quick.

I don't know about fiddlers specifically, but that is a general rule of thumb for crabs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower
From what i've seen at the LFS i work at, fiddlers can't usually catch fish to eat. They're pretty slow. Not to say that if they did have a chance they wouldn't take it. Slight risk, but not too bad. I would say 80%+ chance that they would be fine with the BB goby.

As far as brackish tanks go you woud definately want a larger tank. Especially if you want some of the more common (and in my opinion, "cooler") brackish species. IE; archers, scats, monos. In the next few months i plan on setting up a 65 gallon brackish tank.

As stated earlier, you could do a 20L with a few mudskippers, and fiddlers. The skippers may eat the tiny BB gobies though.

1 10 gal low tech planted tank. 1- 10 gal lowtech w/ diy co2. 55 gal lowtech planted tank. 20 gallon reef tank. 55 gallon paludarium for dart frogs. large exo-terra vivarium for madagascar giant day gecko. working on getting 65 gal brackish tank soon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
At one point with my old tank i did buy a single red crab and he didnt catch any fish but instead he ate all my plants... I took him back to the store. I dont like crabs anymore to say the least..

click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode