The Planted Tank Forum banner

itty bitty palu for native frog

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  fishbguy1 
#1 ·
i just threw together this tiny palu for a native tree frog i found.
:bounce:
it's waaay to small for long term but i'm planning to either release her or upgrade in a month or two. i'm not sure if this is really a paludarium or just a terrarium with a high water table... um, same difference right?........... palu is more fun to say anyway. :tongue:

so i needed to put this together very quick. the first one i made the day i found the frog (her name is muse) was just some bed-a-beast, some reptile wood, and a water dish that i picked up on the way home from work (i actually found her on the window of petsmart at 6am lol). but the wood i picked was apparently not intended for a moist environment and began to mold. bleh. so i drove down to the closest store that sold actual drift wood (not very close at all) and picked up some stuff to make a less spartan enclosure. but because i couldn't just put the frog in stasis while i built elaborate divider for land and water or order plants, i decided to experiment with using a water table and native plants.
...... so um, here it is six steps to a instant palu which is likely to failahem:

the rocks i got from the pile-of-rocks-too-small-to-use of a rock cutter i know. the gravel is eco-complete (mostly because i was too lazy to wash gravel, but also because the gravel sand mix is easy to sculpt but still acts as drainage). the 'dirt' is 't-rex jungle bed'. nice stuff. it's made not to get all icky when moist, plus it's really soft and comfy for lil' frog toes. all the plants i pulled out of my yard (we don't use chemicals on our yard :) ), they are: fern moss (front right), rock cap moss (on rocks), some sort of violets (behind rocks), some sort of clover (center behind wood), johnny jump-ups (top right(flowers)) and some random grass that was attached to the fern moss (front right). very scientific, i know. :icon_redf

but that's all boring. look a my spiffy frog! (it's a eastern gray tree frog, and before anyone asks, no. it's no where near being endangered and it being captured has no impact on the environment. i looked it up at work before i took it home) they live all over the eastern states and even into canada anywhere there is water and shrubs together. even if you've never seen one in your life, you prolly hear them all the time w/o realizing it. cool yeah?

frog pictures!
hiding under the johnny jump-ups:

frog on a log:

she looks kinda fat doesn't she? i'm concerned she may be gravid (it was the start of breeding season here when i found her). if anyone has an info on that i'd love to hear from ya. if not, i do have a really good local herp vet, but i'd rather not stress her with a vet trip if i can help it.

..... maybe it's just too many crickets. *burp* :biggrin:

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a grey tree frog.

If she's gravid, the eggs won't hatch, but will be a pain to remove if she does lay them. Frogs' eggs are fertalized externally. That's why the males always ride around on the females. As the eggs come out, so does the sperm.

GTF's tend to be a little on the plump side all the time :p Don't be suprised if she's never on the walls. Sometimes that can be too big for that. And if you don't keep her moist enough, she'll bury herself in the dirt like a toad.

Feed her crickets, mealworms, etc. she'll love them.

What size tank is it? I would consider at least a 10 gallon for life, then you can get more as well. IME, they are pretty social animals.

If you need anything else, pm me. I've been keeping grey tree frogs for roughly 3 years now :p

btw...I love the palu. Looks awesome!

#3 ·
thanks! if she is gravid and there are no males around will she lay the eggs anyway? or will they just be re-absorbed? could not laying the eggs harm her? ...i'm prolly being paranoid.

she has been sticking to the sides, and once she hung from the top like monkey bars. freaking funny. it's a five gal btw. i was thinking about upping her to a 16 or 20 if my parents will let me keep her. right now they want me to let her go when i'm done painting her (i've been planning a series of frog prince paintings for forever when she showed up on the window to kick my creativity's butt into action, that's why i named her muse :D ).

i've been giving her crickets, and i just started trying to give her some waxworms, but she hasn't eaten any yet. they'll prolly turn into moths by the time she figures out they are food. lol.

#4 ·
Your being paranoid :p She'll be fine, whether she lays them or not...lol but if she does, don't let them stick to anything :p They are a PITA to remove. being like a gelly, nothing picks them up. You almost have to use to sticks like chopsticks to get them out. And that's just the ones in the water...lol

Crickets are good. Waxworms are the second best, as there is no exosceleton on them :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.