The Planted Tank Forum banner

Looking for a few pointers on paludariums

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Revision17 
#1 ·
Well I have an empty 10g sitting around and of course it can't remain empty very long. The biggest thing holding me back is that I don't want a lot more maintenance since my other two tanks keep me pretty occupied. My earlier attempts at an "el natural" ended in failure due to bga, as soon as any amount of organic matter built up in the substrate, the bga would start and once again I would have to be doing regular vacs to keep things clean. Anyway, my idea was that I could have a paludarium with plants growing out of the water with just the roots in the water. I don't have a hood for that tank so this would work well. In this way I would hopefully not need to have bright lights on the tank and avoid algae problems, and at the same time the plants could take up the nitrogen from the water. Has anyone tried this, and what type of plants can grow this way with just the roots submerged?

#3 ·
Don't forget anubias, they work great, although they are a slow grower. Also, java moss can be used completely on land as long as it stays wet to get that moss-like effect.

-Pat

#5 ·
Plants can't fix nitrogen from the atmosphere on their own, so they'll be getting it from their roots.

Some plants, like most legumes, harbor symbiotic bacteria in their roots which fix nitrogen from the atmosphere. Farmers often use them in a crop rotation to put nutrients back into the soil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.