The Planted Tank Forum banner

Contemplating a paludarium, so the research process starts again :)

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tundragirl 
#1 ·
I started lurking on this forum for about 2 years, then started posting a year ago. I have finally gotten to the point where I'm comfortable with low tech tanks, still not quite there on high techs, but getting close. But, of course, one tank is never enough :D

So, I am thinking about starting a small paludarium or vivarium (what is the difference anyway?). I have a design in mind already. The idea is to make a nanotank, but because it is a half full, it would be in a bigger tank. I haven't decided yet, but a 20 gallon is looking like a an option. I personally like 20 longs, but nothing is set in stone yet. I have messed around a bit on sketchup, but I'm not very experienced and not really sure what I want to do yet. I will post it when I'm somewhat satisfied with it.

The Plan:

What I would like to do is make about 1/3 - 1/4 of the tank a hill - a mountain, if you will. The mountain will be about as tall as the tank. I would like to put a bonsai tree at the top. I have read up on bonsai (another hobby I don't have time for but have decided to start), and the soil that is used is similar to the substrates we used (i.e. fired clays). It is also necessary to sometimes pull the tree up and trim the rootball. (By the way, anyone who practices bonsai and finds anything wrong with what I am saying, feel free to correct me and point me in the right direction for info. I'm just reciting what I have read) It also looks like most trees use for bonsais do not enjoy as much water as plants we would normally find in a paludarium. Because of this, I think it is necessary that I put the bonsai in a container that is separated from the rest of the tank. However, I would like this container to be hidden and recessed into the mountain. I am thinking about using a series of buckets to make this mountain, and use silicone, glue, PVC (whatever works) to hide all the inner workings of my setup. I am looking to have a waterfall feature. This will serve as both decoration and filtration. I would like to use a sponge filter on this tank, hidden somewhere, and then piped up the mountain, and trickled back down to the water portion of the tank. I'd like to glue/silicone rocks and gravel to give the appearance of a mountain. Of course, this is the part where this forum comes in. I'd like for you to share your experiences on rock wall/slope construction and terraforming. What works, what doesn't, different methods. I'd like there to be some pockets where I can put some SMS to grow emersed plants as well, probably a couple patches of HC here and there. I'd also like to put some moss down where the waterfall/trickle feature is. The submerged plants in this tank will mostly be low light or mosses. In fact, it will be mostly mosses. I don't want to do any CO2 on this tank; at most, some DIY or Excel supplementation. I will use a sand foreground and minimal substrate on the submerged side of the tank.

For fauna, I am planning on stocking CPD's and one, possibly two schools of boraras species.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm having such a conflict because I almost want a taller tank for this, since the tank won't be filled all the way, but I also promised myself I wouldn't get anything bigger than 20. I don't have the space :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.