The Planted Tank Forum banner

terrarium: mold on top of soil

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  zachxbass 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have an all glass coffee table terrarium that I made several years ago. Recently it's developed a mold-like slime on top of the soil surface. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what has gone wrong after being fine for so long.

The bottom of the table is a breeder fish tank with the black rim removed and the top is a solid piece of glass.

The table resides in my sun room but get indirect sunlight.

Thanks for taking your time to read this and any suggestions that you might have.

#3 ·
That's what I would ask too - what's changed? But for the life of me I can't figure that out. I rarely water the terrarium - it has it's own rain cycle - rain drips down off the top. I don't think I've opened it for at least 4 months. I only open it when plants need trimming and the sides need cleaning for better viewing. The floor is heated with radiant heat and that temperature hasn't changed. The sun has shifted directions now since it's spring here in PA but that has happened other years.

Could the soil have degraded over the years that might cause this?

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

#9 ·
old post, but another natural way to get rid of it is to get a culture of springtails in there... they are tiny little bugs that will eat the mold... and they are common all over the world. they won't hurt anything else in the tank either, and i'm not sure but i don't think they will climb the glass and escape, or even try to. and if they do they are so tiny you would NEVER notice.honestly, there are probably a few in there already... You can even find native ones anywhere outside that is moist and has degrading plant matter, IE, old leaf piles, under boards, etc.. (that is alot of mold by the way!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.