The Planted Tank Forum banner

Building Large Planted aquarium/terrarium/paludarium 10x11 Feet

64K views 125 replies 55 participants last post by  Wilderman204 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi construction of my dream large planted tank + terrarium has started..its a part of our living room in our new home(under construction).lit by natural sunlight..looking forward for ur valuable suggestions..posting pics below
Details : the length of tank would be 10 feet
width would be 11 feet(total water area + land)....
height of water area -3 feet

Water area (front area) - 7 feet on right side, 4 feet on left side...total 3500L approx..

Towards back planning terrestrial plants, block on left side for filter chamber...backside would be filled with large rocks, ferro cement work with space for plants in between .....and waterfall from the height of filter chamber

Water area planned to be filled with hardy plants + large driftwood protruding out of water....

Work starting nxt week...hoping for ur suggestions

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#10 ·
backside wld be done using ferro cement to create an artifical natural looking mountain and stones...with maximum pores for planting plants....left side would be done using larger stones to create a step waterfall....water from pores would b drained out through back...since it stays within th ferro cement work...

#20 ·
#21 ·
Ya had gone through medicinemans project....really inspiring...bt my aim is to make it thickly planted as much as possible both above n under water...also give a more nature look....hv been inspired from a couple of works done by green chapter a singapore based conpany....

#23 ·
Cypress is virtually "bullet proof" and will take decades to show any decomposition. Can be incorporated into a divider across
the border between the "land" and water. Part or all of. Also might make a "tree in the water". Any or all with the bark still on it.
I'm from LA. originally so my thoughts would go there of course. And really, since it's a "water tree" you could actually put
a live one in there and the low light would make it grow more slowly like a Bonsai tree. But don't let my daydreams impose
themselves on your project...LOL...
But ferns...there's a large wild fern which grows primarily under trees and where common it makes the place look like a scene
from a dinosaur movie..does get about 4' though.
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/athyrium_filix-femina.shtml

#25 ·
Here my comments ;

Im friggin so jealous that I cant do that right now!

I work from home and have two tanks in my home office, a 40g breeder and 20L riparium / planted (the differences become trivial IMO).

Anyways, this would be the ultimate home office set up! Good luck and keep posting photos of progress!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.