I didn't prove your argument - I said that the sites are spouting off information, which they have no factual basis for. I realize that you feel the sensation of 'burning/freezing' when you put your finger in front of an ultrasonic transducer when in operation. This is totally understandable. As I said before, the frequency is really high. The frequency is meant to vibrate fast enough to turn water into vapor - everything that passes in front of it is subject to similar effects, if the material responds to that particular frequency and amplitude in the same way. I don't really know how else to make this clear to you. As for the 'freezing' - your finger may have felt cold, which it is probably was. However, because of how small the water particles are that come off the transducer, the evaporation rate is higher than water droplets of larger size. If you've ever sprayed water on your hand with a hand sprayer, you probably know that the water, even if at room temperature, makes your hand feel cold. This is because of evaporative cooling - it is the same thing that happens when you get out of a 100 degree F hot tub, and for some reason are freezing - it is all due to evaporative cooling. The reason your finger feels cold is that tiny water particles are coming in contact with your 98 degree F skin, and evaporating at an extremely high rate. For further evidence of this, dip one hand in a bowl of water, and spray the other with a fine mist sprayer. Not only should the sprayed hand feel cooler, but the sprayed hand will become dry much sooner than the hand that was dipped in the bowl of water. The ‘freezing’ you experienced was due to the process of evaporative cooling, not tiny ice crystals being injected into your skin. As I established in my last post, water does not crystallize under compression.
You are right about how the same technology in humidifiers (ultrasonic transducers) have many different uses. However, as stated in some of the sites presented, they DO NOT have cleaning properties because of ‘anions’ in the air. They have cleaning properties because of the particles of water being put into the air, which have a partial electric charge – and the water particles are small enough to effectively attach to allergens and pollutants, add to their weight, which may bring the particles down to the ground. This goes back to the properties of water and the polarity of the water molecule. Furthermore, whenever you wash your hands with soap, you are going through a similar process of polar molecules reacting with other molecules. Most soaps are phosphorus based lipids (phospholipids), which attach themselves to dirt, biological, and other particles. It is the polarity of the water molecule and the size of the vaporized water particles, that give ultrasonic transducers their ‘cleaning’ properties.
You are also right that ultrasonic transducers DO NOT ‘evaporate’ water. They vaporize water. Water vapor can be achieved without boiling – for example: hand misters, misting systems for produce and terrariums, and ultrasonic transducers. While hand misters and misting systems do not use sonic vibration to produce the vapor, ultrasonic transducers do. There is no boiling, freezing, or otherwise associated with any of these processes. Additionally, you mentioned that some things were left out of consumer advertisement, but included as fine print… If the advertisement is wrong, it is highly unlikely that the fine print will somehow be correct. Just because the companies can take a technology and reproduce it and market it, doesn’t mean that the company knows every physical and chemical process that occurs with their product. Just because I can build my own computer does not mean that I know how all of the parts work – manufacturing and marketing are rarely concerned with HOW the parts work. They are usually concerned with IF the parts work. I can also confidently say that marketing and manufacturing of these devices does not include even a basic understanding of the properties of water.
I also have to address your terrible misconception that (I quote), “…at higher pressure, water boils faster”. It is the absolute opposite. At LOWER pressure, water boils faster – at HIGHER pressure, water boils slower….. This is why, at sea level, water boils at 212 degrees F, and at one mile above sea level, it boils at ~210 degrees F. This is why on the Moon, water would seem to boil at even lower temperatures. High pressure = high boiling point. Low pressure = low boiling point. Simple as that. Boiling occurs when vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure.
Don’t believe what you learn in school, eh? High school, maybe. I don’t know what schools you’ve attended, but I have full confidence in the PhDs I have had the pleasure of working with and learning from. In a university, you usually have text books, which were not only written recently, but often written by the professor you are being taught by. The information is usually cutting edge (at university level), in accuracy and age of the material. I am sorry that you don’t think we should believe what we are taught in school, but I assure you – it depends on what academic background you come from. Now, the patent office… Thanks, but I will believe a physics or chemistry professor with a PhD before I will believe the patent office. Information submitted to the patent office is often based on research done by the person submitting the patent. These submissions may be as low as mere hypotheses – with no lab, or further research completed to verify the claims. You are kidding about the time machine thing, right? I won’t even delve into that one right now.
Oh, and the website you submitted as evidence for your claim: Do you know what a transition metal complex is? A transition metal complex is a complex of ligands attached to a central metal atom. For instance [Co(Cl)2(NH3)4] is a transition metal complex. This is called Dichlorotetraamine Cobalt (II). This is a level of chemistry, which has nothing to do with the properties of water. Yes, sonochemistry does deal with the compression/decompression of mediums, and the effects of sound on certain materials. However, transition metal complexes (what most of this website was dealing with) are completely separate from the properties of water. This website was an excellent example of what you are concluding. This website was about sonochemistry, and where it is useful. It is useful when dealing with TRANSITION METAL COMPLEXES. NOT WATER! It was a good observation, and it was good that you saw a relationship, but the conclusion is incorrect. Transition metal complexes behave much differently than water in more situations than sonochemistry.
Once again, I insist – as long as animals do not come in contact with the ultrasonic transducer, it is safe for them. The mist produced from transducers is nothing, but water vapor. If used in excess for the particular species, ultrasonic transducers can cause infections – as can happen with humans if humidity is too high. Contamination to the container of the transducer is the worst possible effect – the way to avoid contamination is to keep the container clean, regularly. Otherwise, there is NO reason to fear the usefulness of a transducer – it is a tool, which can be used in moderation, or in excess. Vitamin C is GREAT, but in excess, it is dangerous. Also, there is NO REASON to believe that even frogs can hear the sound produced by sonic transducers. As I said before, the frequency is more than 20x higher than the audible range for even the smallest animals. Again, if you can prove me wrong, beyond reasonable doubt, I will concede. Until then, I believe you are wrong.