Something I have been working on over summer break. The tank was an older tank that I acquired used from a neighbor. It was in decent shape except for the swirls from an abrasive cleaning pad. I used cheap silicone and lava rocks from WM. After I finished adhering the rocks to the glass I let the tank set outside for 2 weeks in hot weather, to air out the nasty stuff in the caulk.
I have a small pond pump pushing nutrient rich water back up over the rocks via a homemade spray bar that I fashioned out of clear .5 inch hose. The flow over the rocks came out just right, a trickle.
The bottom of the tank is filled with hydroton, the nutrients are General Hydroponics solution. The hydroton is covered with coco fibers.
Lighting is provided by an Exo Terra 90cm light x4 15 watt cfl 6500k bulbs
So far the plants attached to the rocks are:
Java fern Trident
Plants that are on the coco fibers
Dwarf Hair Grass
Dwarf Baby Tears
Last edited by capn_kirkj; 07-22-2012 at 08:07 PM.
well the caulk is mighty thick I personally do not plan to remove the lava rock anytime soon. One of my favorite tanks was a 5 gal that had topsoil and lava rock background, I hope that this will turn out to be a big version of that tank. Eventually.