The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nubster's 24g Riparium build

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Nubster 
#1 ·
Ok...so this is the official thread I guess on my soon to start riparium build. I am starting out with an acrylic tank that measures 24w x 18d x 14t for a total of about 24g. The tank was build originally to be a nano SW tank and has an overflow and drilled bottom. I may seal off the holes but not too worried about it at the moment since I don't plan on filling the tank more than 3/4 full so it should be at least a few inches below the overflow.

Not sure on the plants yet. I know I want rock and driftwood for the hardscape and it will be invert only. No plans on any fish. Submerged plants will be moss of some sort, Java fern, and maybe some dwarf hairgrass. Not sure if I'll do CO2 or not. I am a bit wary of it now since I recently gassed a bunch of RCS in my main tank because I had my CO2 turned way up. I was using the fish as an indicator and evidently fish can withstand much high CO2 levels than shrimp or so it would seem.

So anyways, I built the basic structure for the stand and will skin it later. I want to get this thing running asap since I have like 35 RCS being shipped tomorrow so I'll probably have them Wednesday or Thursday. Don't worry, I'll be instant cycled by using established filter media.

So all I have done so far is get the stand built and messed around with the hardscape a little. I want to go driftwood hunting maybe tomorrow to try and find something a bit more branchy, but here is a pic using what I have on hand. I just threw some rocks and a couple pieces of wood in the tank to see how it would look. Let me know what you think. The substrate will be black sand perhaps with some small creekbed stones mixed in.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a good plan in all! Just one quick thought on the substrate. I don't reccomend using a darker colored gravel or sand, as that color combined with the shadows from the riparium plants make for a very dark (and rather ugly) display. I'd stick with lighter colored substrates, such as pool filter sand. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.