The Planted Tank Forum banner

Emerged collection project

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Crispino L Ramos 
#1 ·
I've been collecting plants for awhile now and like any hobby, I am having space issues. Growing plants in their emerged form not only is an easier way to house more of them in a smaller space, but also much more easier to keep track of them. I do keep a lot of my plants submerged still but a few of my emerged stem and sword collection does very well outside. Many of them still needs to be transitioned out and one day I hope they all will. Those that need a little more humidity I keep indoors. Here are some photos of my indoor project. Hopefully one day the empty tanks will be filled. These are mainly my aroids and a few crypts that has transitioned.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me start by saying amazing set-up..

How long have you been using the humidity domes and have you had any issues, I've had mine going for a couple months and I'm trying to figure out what the drawback might be, I want to go with something more permanent like you have on the top shelve but I'm having a hard time sourcing a good affordable tank.

Len

#4 ·
Hi Len, Thanks. I've been using these humidomes for a little over a year now. I think the only drawback to these humidomes is its tray. If they were made a bit more ridged, it would be a lot easier to pull out of the shelves with out the pots shifting and falling. The best part of it is that they are cheap. The permanent ones are made by Zoo Med and yes are expensive. Those are the ones that house my taller growing plants.

#5 ·
Lights that are on the humidomes are 36" t5HO 39W Giesemann Midday. Most pots contain brand new AS Amazonia normal capped with powder. A few of the crypts do have a mix of sand,AS amazonia, peat, and crushed almond leaves (just for experiments). Hope that helps.

#12 ·
Are you eventually able to grow your emersed crypts without the humidity domes? I have a few growing in covered tanks, but am irritated by the condensation obscuring my view. I've searched around for information on the minimum humidity for crypt growth, but have not been very successful.

I realize the humidity is very high where you live, but am curious whether these plants could survive at 75-80% humidity or at least a non-condensing level, as well as whether this requires replacement of all the existing leaves. I have sword plants growing in regular housepots without humidity trays, and they grow very well, but a similar experience with lucens was unsuccessful.

To Ibacha: I have grown Crypts in water that was under 70F. Your typical tropical plant is ok as long as you don't let the temperature get into the 50's. Some are much more cold tolerant, but then again, some are much less. Sword plants seem to handle temperatures in thes 60's fine emersed, but melted on me when submerged in similar temperatures.

#13 ·
Are you eventually able to grow your emersed crypts without the humidity domes? I have a few growing in covered tanks, but am irritated by the condensation obscuring my view. I've searched around for information on the minimum humidity for crypt growth, but have not been very successful.

I realize the humidity is very high where you live, but am curious whether these plants could survive at 75-80% humidity or at least a non-condensing level, as well as whether this requires replacement of all the existing leaves. I have sword plants growing in regular housepots without humidity trays, and they grow very well, but a similar experience with lucens was unsuccessful.

To Ibacha: I have grown Crypts in water that was under 70F. Your typical tropical plant is ok as long as you don't let the temperature get into the 50's. Some are much more cold tolerant, but then again, some are much less. Sword plants seem to handle temperatures in thes 60's fine emersed, but melted on me when submerged in similar temperatures.
Sharkfood

The reason for heating the water isn't because they need higher water temp but to increase the humidity or in my case make sure it dosn't drop, while some crypts can grow in humidity levels as low as 70% they need to be aclimated to this level over time and they will lose their submersed leaves, I'm trying to aclimate them as well as bucephelandras so I really don't want my humidity dropping any lower than 85% to make sure they don't melt. As for swords I have heard they are much more forgiving of lower humidity levels which is why you probably had no issues with the sword but the lucens didn't work out, if you had aclimated the lucens to the lower humidity they probably would have been fine, they would have grown completly new leaves though.

Len

#14 ·
I assumed the lucens died because of improper acclimation. I was mosly curious how low the humidity levels could be maintained with good acclimation.

Swords are definitely very forgiving. I don't bother to acclimate them at all. The old leaves dry up, but new ones shoot out so fast that it makes little difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.